1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] how can i view win32 programs?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by indigowindow, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. indigowindow

indigowindow Thread Starter

from http://diamondcs.com.au
    i downloaded the console tools, alltools.zip.

after unzipping alltools.zip, i double click on any of the icons and all i get is a flash of a dos window. how do i access any information that these tools are supposed to provide?

attempting to view them in dos i get the message that these are win32 programs.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Try the RUN command.

Runs a Windows program or an MS-DOS program.

START [options] program [arg...]
    START [options] document.ext

/m[inimized] Run the new program minimized (in the background).
    /max[imized] Run the new program maximized (in the foreground).
    /r[estored] Run the new program restored (in the foreground). [default]
    /w[ait] Does not return until the other program exits.

If they still don't work they may not be for Windows 9x/ME, but for Windows NT, 2000, or XP which supports WIN32 applications at the Command Prompt.

3. indigowindow

dan o - i'm looking at your instructions but i don't know what you're saying. if win32 is windows nt or windows 2000, that could be the problem right there. i'm running windows 98se.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Open a DOS window and run them there.
    Some/most of them require a parameter.

Eg: PING 123.34.37.1

(pings that IP address)

If you do
    PING /?
    you should get help on the syntax.

5. indigowindow

whitphil - they run fine in the dos window. (why didn't i think of that. although i couldn't get the same results restarting in dos mode). i wonder why they will run in the dos window and not in regular dos?

6. Dan O

Dan O

Some WIN32 applications rely on API calles that are only supported by NT and higher.

Also WIN32 application will never run under MS-DOS Mode because it is a 16 bit environment and it does not know how to handle WIN32 32 bit instructions. A MS-DOS prompt within Windows 98 is under the control of it, which is why they work.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice