1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I access my PC in a network using Remote Desktop from remote PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mark N, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mark N

Mark N Thread Starter

I am running a wireless Network with D-Link 714P+ Router. My PC is wired to the Router, with 2 other computers running wireless. I am running XP Pro.

When accessing my PC (or at least attempting to) from a remote Computer using Remote Desktop, I think I have to add something after the IP Address when typing in the Computer Name/IP Address. I have RD working successfully within my Network. Can someone clarify what I need to do here to access my PC through the Internet then Network

(Even though I have got this far with setting up my network, please go easy on me with the computer lingo)

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Okay, I'm no expert, but a couple of things come to mind:

1. are you trying to access remotely within the network?
    2. have you configured your router for port forwarding? It sounds like your connect is probably getting as far as the router but, without port forwarding, the router doesn't know which machine to forward the connection to.

Make sense?

Hope this helps,

MBN

3. ShavedApe

ShavedApe

FYI, RD uses port 3389
    just forward that to the proper pc

4. Mark N

Mark N Thread Starter

Thanks MBN & ShavedApe.

It seems you are heading me in the right direction, but how do I configure my Router for port forwarding?? (router details - D-Link 714P+ Router). And how will it know which computer to send to?

{In answer to MBN's first point, I am trying to access from external over Internet. RD is working fine when accessing from within my network.}

5. ShavedApe

ShavedApe

D-Link call it Virtual Server. you set up the port you want to receive on, and the computer it need to go to.

it's best to give that computer a static ip address. make note of the dns server addresses too. it should be listed if you do "ipconfig /all" you have to enter those manualy with a static ip address.

6. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

To add on to ShavedApe's response, your manual will tell you (for mine, I type in 192.168.1.1 into my browser), you will also need to know the default password.

look around in the page and find Virtual Server part (per Shaved), it will ask you for the port and the ip address of the machine you want to send the connection to (ipconfi /all in a Command Promt will give you this info).

Hope the additional info helps,

MBN

7. Mark N

Mark N Thread Starter

Thanks heaps...we're nearly there!

I have been able to access (extremely slowly) the local desktop from the remote computer (my laptop, connected via modem to seperate it from network), but can not get a response from any action (eg, clicking on icon, typing etc). The curser is a verticla line with small horizontal top & bottom bars, and when I click on mouse I hear a echo type sound (like clicking on a frozen program).

Also, after a little time, and possibly after minimising and restoring, i get the following message "The connection to the Remote Computer was broken. This may have been caused by a Network error. Please try the connection to the Remote Computer again.

Hope you can continue to help me on this one!?!

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

What I would do is dumb down your connection settings within your remote desktop (before you connect with the IP or DNS name) go to your options and then dumb down the colors displayed and all the rest of that.

Whats causing the failure more than likely is more information is being sent than your modem connection can handle.

The fact that it is connecting at all and you are able to do it in network makes me think this is a setting issue on your computer your using to acess the computer remotely.

9. Mark N

Mark N Thread Starter

(y) Thanks guys, I'm up and running. Reallly appreciated the input.....Mark N

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/359106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice