1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I auto connect to wifi at boot?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by adsmith82, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adsmith82

adsmith82 Thread Starter

Windows 8 isn't connecting to wifi automatically when I turn my PC on. I have to connect manually, even though each time I connect, the box is checked for connect automatically.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    When connecting there should be a "Remember connection" or something like that , that needs to be checked. It is the same on most any WiFi connection.

3. adsmith82

adsmith82 Thread Starter

as mentioned, this box is checked each time I connect, but does not work

4. adsmith82

adsmith82 Thread Starter

5. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Tell us more about this machine?

Is it a new machine with OEM OS?
    Did you upgrade from a earlier Windows, if so which one?
    If upgraded what was the Make and model of it before the upgrade?

6. adsmith82

adsmith82 Thread Starter

It's an upgrade version but I deleted the previous partition and did a clean install. My wifi adapter is Asus USB-N53. My friend has a 2011 Mac Mini with Windows 8 on a second partition and I believe it has the same problem.

Also the PC is a custom build with MSI Z68 board, 2600K cpu, 256gb samsung 840 pro ssd, etc.

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Some machines come with software that does this connecting, so you may want to have a look at the drivers and software at the OEM's website for your WiFI device in the computer. But make sure you get the Windows 8 drivers and software, if the OEM has them, the Windows 7 may work.

Is this you device http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBN53/
    A external device?

8. adsmith82

adsmith82 Thread Starter

I used 7-zip to extract the driver from the file I downloaded from Asus, and used device manager to install the driver. I don't know if Windows update will find a driver for a device that is already working.

9. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Re-opened as requested.

10. adsmith82

adsmith82 Thread Starter

Thanks Laura. There is a driver on Asus' site specifically for Windows 8 64 and so far it seems to be working. I don't know if the driver was there before but it is now. I rebooted twice and it connected before login. Hopefully it will keep working.

Thanks again for reopening, at least I can post a solution for anyone else having the same problem.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice