1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I back up my computer using Win XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lynnebrunton, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynnebrunton

lynnebrunton Thread Starter

Hello, I want to back up all data and system data etc on my computer but the only way I am told it can be done is to insert the Win XP CD and use the backup wizard from it. I don'thave any Win XP discs unfortunately and I cannot see an easy way to backup from the Start menu. Any ideas please?

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. papabear1941

papabear1941

Place a .bat file anyplace on your system. In it put the following:

@echo off
    xcopy c:\*.* d: /e/c/h/r/k/m/y
    cd c:
    cls

You can put an icon on the desktop if you want.

You can also schedule this .bat file to run anytime you want and as often as you want.

The first time, it will backup everything. From then on only the files that have the archive bit set. Hence everything will be backed up.

I've been using it for about 8 years. It's great. A bit of overkill, but what the heck. I haven't lost anything.

Enjoy

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The Bat file idea is ok but the code does assume there is a D partition on the PC.
    If it fails through this replace the D in the code with C:\Backup, like this :-
    Code:
    @echo off
    xcopy c:\*.* [B]C:\backup[/B] /e/c/h/r/k/m/y
    cd c:
    cls

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If this computer is not your then whose is it?

Also doing this without the windows recovery or restore software is not advisable I would suggest having whoever owns the computer to order the recovery software from the manufacturer of the computer, and also doing a backup with anything other than acronis true image is really futile.

http://www.acronis.com

6. papabear1941

papabear1941

Well, of course one has to have a place to put their backup.

I didn't go into those details. I figure if anyone knows what a .bat file is, they would know the rest. Most people today don't even realize an autoexec.bat, config.sys or system.ini file even exist.

That was the reason.

7. papabear1941

papabear1941

Your idea also requires a folder called backup that is as large as the files on the c: drive. Often this is not the case. Your hard drive might run out of room rather quickly.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!