1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I backup my system with Win 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by BrianJones, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrianJones

BrianJones Thread Starter

I have never backed up a full system before, can someone please help walk me through it. I have a new dell laptop that uses Win 8, I have only turned the computer on once since it came in the box so the settings will all be exactly as installed from the factory. I would like to back up everything on my external hard drive (I have a WD My Passport) so in case there is ever any problem with my laptop i will be protected with my external hard drive full backup.

I have asked questions before and they were a bit confusing....does Win 8 offer a program to back up the whole system on the external hard drive? (and maybe backup is not the correct word, so please correct me if i need to "copy" or any other term that i should be using rather than backup)

or are there any programs I should downloand and use for this backup? I would rather not spend money if i dont have to (but if its a must, then I will). In addition to this full backup, I will also be using my WD My Passport to back up my laptop once per week as this comptuer is going to be used for business and I need a backup of the files. I wanted to add that in case it changes peoples opinions about the software I should use for this initial back up.

Again, I have never done this before though I am not a newbie at using a computer either. If anyone can pleaes help walk me though this I would be very thankful!!

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Closing unnecessary thread, you already have two others in progress.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!