1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: how do i bridge my router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by donslipknot, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donslipknot

donslipknot Thread Starter

Basically, my main routers wifi range doesn't quite reach the other end of my house my office is located too far away and my old bridge router was damaged when i moved, after many failed attempts to make my spare router a bridge on my own I've come to realise i can't remember how to do this anymore, so i have a NETGEAR VMDG480 Virgin Media Super-Hub (main modem/router) and a zyxel AMG1202-T110A (bridge router), the zyxel has bridge mode already in firmware, i tried different methods I've looked up but lack knowledge to figure the other details needed to bridge these routers myself, I've only used DD-WRT before which i remember being quite simple. If anyone can give me a step by step to bridge these two particular devices together it would be much appreciated, also if you need any other information just ask.

Thank you

Jordan

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "bridge router" and " bridge these two particular devices together"? I understand that a modem/router is "bridged" to make it act as a modem only, but that doesn't seem to be what you are trying to do.

4. donslipknot

Thank you for replying, I did post on yahoo but no one answered and i found this forum which seemed to me like a better solution. anyway the "bridge router" is the one i stated above (zyxel) it has a bridge mode which i assume works the same way as DD-WRT does from my research on it, and the modem/router is a combination of the two its a cable router with wifi etc, it's located in my office and can't be moved due to my gaming severs hooked to it that are ping sensitive, the wifi range on the router in my office doesn't reach other areas of my house just like before i moved where i had the same problem, back then i belive used a linksys router with DD-WRT i set up to bridge the connection further, so the internet connection comes via fibre to my main router then the wifi signal reaches the "bridge router" located in the middle of the house so my phones etc can connect to that router via wifi without having no/low connection, sorry if my lingo is off and that doesn't quite make sense, I'll include an image that may help. I've played around with the bridge mode on the zyxel router and I've set the wifi name, pass key, subnet mask and wifi frequency to same as the main router, i also put the same ip on both except the main router was 192.168.0.1 and the other 192.168.0.100 (default for the zyxel was 192.168.1.1 and changing this caused me to be unable to access the router admin panel via the default ip and the new ip even with a cable connection). I hope this helps you help me. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like you want to use the ZyXEL modem/router as a Repeater (Range Extender) or as a Repeater and Wireless Bridge. Very few, if any, modem/routers have these modes. Also, I think that there is third party firmware for very few, if any, modem/routers. So, unless your model does have the Repeater (or Range Extender) mode you will not be able to use it that way.

You could use it as a Wireless Access Point and ethernet switch if you run an ethernet cable to it.

6. donslipknot

It doesn't look like it has a mode to extend the range, so i'll put it in bridge mode and run a cable to it.

Thank's for the advice.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not sure you want to use bridge mode.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected! [TerryNet Note: assume that all routers made in the last five or six years or more have auto-sensing ports.]

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice