1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] How do I change BIOS settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bilnrobn, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    My Canon Scanner gives an error message when I try to run it. The error reads:

Cano Craft CS-P 3.8
    Other error
    Error Code 0X10ff0800

I found something using Google that says check to see the scanner lock is on, (it is), and "that the printer mode is set to ECP in the BIOS". How do I do this? Any help would be appreciated.

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

To enter your BIOS, shut off your computer. Press and HOLD down on the F10 key and push the POWER button to start your computer. This should get you into the BIOS SETUP.

If F10 don't work try the DELETE key.

3. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks for prompt response walkeriam. Will try that when I go offline.

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) If the scanner lock is on, you need to unlock it.

5. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Hi Kilowatt. It is unlocked. Sorry, "on" was the wrong word to use. (Actually I have tried it in both positions to be sure it wasn't that.) I have had the scanner for a year now and it has never given that error message before, so can't see how the bios could have altered, but 'puters are funny things!

6. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    'Fraid that didn't work. I tried booting up holding down F10 and it just booted as usual into Windows ME, so I tried again holding down the Delete key, but with the same result. Can anyone tell me how to change a setting in the BIOS in Windows ME?

7. panzer999

panzer999

Try tapping the Delete key quickly instead of holding it down. Tap it until you get to BIOS.

8. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks panser. Will try that as soon as I finish with this internet session.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have a name brand computer?

10. ~Candy~

Also, do you have the scanner connected directly to the computer or passing thru a printer?

11. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Yes, it is an IBM Netvista

12. ~Candy~

13. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    I have a Lexmark Z32 printer and the Cannon scaner is linked through it. Something must have changed recently, as it has worked fine since instalation about a year ago. I haven't knowingly done anything that may change it.

14. ~Candy~

What is the model number of the scanner? Have you rechecked the connections on the back of the computer? Turn both off, then shutdown computer and turn them both back on and then restart?

15. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks for the link. The model scanner is N640P. I have checked the plugs on the scanner, but not the computer end. It does make a short ZZZ noise, similar to the noise it makes when it does a scan, so I have assumed the connections are ok, but maybe not?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/152559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice