1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I clean up Add/Remove List in XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Larrydofmn, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Larrydofmn

Larrydofmn Thread Starter

My add/remove programs list still shows items uninstalled and is missing installed items such as IE 6

I have downloaded several "fixit tools" which fixed nothing and compounded the problem.

Does anyone know of any tool which will fix that list?

I am not sure but some software I evaluated may have been removed improperly. I read directions and sometimes they were in English from some other planet.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. Arky

Arky

The list can be modified by editing the registry.
    As you are self-described as "beginner", don't even try.

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

When you say IE6 doesn't appear, have you clicked the Windows Components list?

4. John Burns

John Burns

Can you even uninstall Internet Explorer? I thought it was next to impossible - maybe that's the reason it isn't on Add/Remove? (I don't see it on mine either) Check Microsoft Knowledge Base - seems if you have modified IE, it may not appear on Add/Delete Programs List. Not sure, but think maybe SP1 and/or SP2 make this happen.

5. rude

rude

Make sure you backup the registry before editing.
    Select Start / Run Type: regedit OK

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

The Add/Remove Programs list is built from the keys listed beneath the Uninstall folder.

Locate the key for the program that has been uninstalled, right click the key and click Delete.

Be very careful. Once the key has been deleted it's impossible to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall if you make an incorrect selection

6. Arky

Arky

To remove IE6 go to

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;en-us;q293907

for instructions.

7. Larrydofmn

I will try your suggestions to delete the keys using regedit. But first I need to find a program that backs up the registry to a spot where I can retreive it if necessary.

I went to support.microsoft.com ... The letters and digits found there must have been about three feet tall and two feet wide!

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You can back up your Registry files by creating a directory and calling it Fred or whatever you like so long as you remember it later. Go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and copy config to Fred then go to Docs & Settings\User and copy that to Fred. You now have a backup directory of your Registry and this is safer than using a third party backup programme or working outside the Wizard.

Incidentally, while you're in Explotrer, seek out the file called sysoc, make a backup copy of that in a Notepad text document and open the original, also in Notepad another simple text editor.

Wherever you see the word hide, delete it but NOT the commas either side of it. Save sysoc back where you found it and reboot.

When you restart, go to Add/Remove and click WIndows compnents and you will find elements of Windows previously hidden and IE will probably be one of them.

9. John Burns

John Burns

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  11. Larrydofmn

Nothing has worked. I guess I will have to back up all my personal data and format C: and reload windows XP

12. bobol

bobol

when did the problem occur... ie, did you download something...and/ or sp2 update.... or occur after online..... up to you on how to proceed, but did you run these tools below, adaware and spybot, and then we'll give you info on how to post a hijack this log here very quickly.

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

14. rude

rude

The Backup utility is not included in the default installation of Windows XP Home Edition. The Backup icon is not present on the Start menu in Windows XP Home Edition, nor is Backup listed in Add/Remove Programs for Windows XP Home Edition. The backup program is found on the Windows XP Home Edition CD in the Valueadd folder.
    To manually install Backup
    1) Place your Windows XP Home Edition CD in your CD drive.
    2) Use Windows Explorer (Windows key + E key) to find the appropriate file.
    3) In the left pane, open the contents of the Home Edition CD.
    4) Open the folder called: VALUEADD.
    5) Open the folder called: MSFT.
    6) Open the file called: NTBACKUP.
    7) When the wizard is complete, click Finish.
    To place the Backup Utility shortcut on your Start menu:
    1) Open Windows Explorer (Windows key + E key)
    2) Expand Drive C by clicking on its + sign.
    3) Expand the Windows folder by clicking on its + sign.
    4) Expand the System32 folder by clicking on its + sign.
    5) In the right column, right-click on the ntbackup file and select “Pin to Start Menu.”
    6) Close Windows Explorer
    7) Click on Start.
    8) Rename the file Backup Utility
    a) Right-click on ntbackup
    b) Left-click on Rename.
    c) Change the file name from ntbackup to Backup Utility.

15. Larrydofmn

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice