Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: How do I connect a new wireless secured to my other PC

773 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  DoubleHelix 
#1 ·
At present I have dial-up and occasionally get unsecured wireless connection. It is coming from a neighbour who is no longer in the house and the signal is very weak. I will be getting a new laptop with wireless Internet ISP and windows 7 home Premium. I want it secured but would like to connect to my other laptop and keep the dial-up until it runs out in July. Can the new ISP do this for me, or would I need to do it myself and if so how? :eek:

#5 ·
Buy your own router. You can get a pretty good one for $25 and it will no doubt be much cheaper that way.

Once you have your modem with the router connected, you may be able to connect immediately with your laptop's wireless. During that process (when it finds a new network), it will ask you questions about how you want it secured. WPA or WPA2 are good choices. WEP is easily cracked.

As far as the dial-up, that should be unaffected by any new connection.

#7 ·
Yeh, if it's the company's, you may be stuck with it.

The router is wireless, right?

You should have no problem connecting since all the settings will be set for you.

#9 ·
You'll know more about what to ask if there are problems after you get the equipment. You may discover that using the dial-up is a waste of time, even if there is still time left on it.

I'd suggest that you not use your ISP's free email. If you ever decide to switch again, you will lose the mail. So open accounts at Yahoo, Excite, Gmail, or somewhere else that is not affected by who supplies your connection. Keep in mind that they offer many "free" things to make it harder for you to leave if a better deal comes along.:D

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

#11 ·
Hotmail is fine. The point is just to get one that is not dependent on who supplies your connection. With Hotmail, you can use Live mail and download your mail to your PC, so it is convenient.

#12 ·
Yes, the router is wireless. I get about 4 secured wireless and 1 unsecured WLAN. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!
Sounds like you're confusing physical ports on the router/modem with wireless security. The device probably has 4 wired Ethernet ports and one WAN port. The wired ports have nothing to do with wireless capabilities or any type of security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.