1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How Do I Connect Internal USB Female Connectors Together

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HowdeeDoodee, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HowdeeDoodee

HowdeeDoodee Thread Starter

I bought a new case for an old Megatrends mainboard. The new case has four USB ports on the front of the case. The wires coming out of each of these USB ports terminate in a black, nine pin, female connector. The black connector measures .5 inches wide by about .25 inches thick. My old main board only has two USB ports in the back of the machine. The two USB ports coming out of the back of the machine are mounted directly to the main board.

How can I connect the four ports not being used at the moment on the front of the new case to the ports on the old motherboard in the back of the machine? Is there some kind of connector I can plug into the nine pin female connector in order to chain all the ports together?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Check the motherboard to see if it has any internal headers for additional USB ports. If there are any, you may need to make or possibly purchase an adapter cable to match the motherboard header to the cables for the front USB ports.

BTW, Four front panel USB ports would need more than a single 9-pin connector.

3. HowdeeDoodee

Thank you for the reply. There is nothing on the motherboard I can plug into. Each of the front panel usb ports has 8 wires coming out of the front usb port. These 8 wires terminate in the female connector described above. Is there any way I can connect all the usb ports together and form a hub?

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Can you post some pics?

5. HowdeeDoodee

Perhaps I was incorrect. On the motherboard next to the USB ports mounted on the motherboard are four pins. The manual for the motherboard labeled these four pins as Read1. Are these four pins a way to connect other USB ports together?

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Probably not. What is the model number of the motherboard?

If the motherboard does not have any internal USB headers, you can add a USB expansion card that he both external USB ports and at least 4 internal USB headers.

7. HowdeeDoodee

What is a "usb" header?

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    It is usually a group of square gold pins on a plastic strip that may look like the ones on the left in the attached photo. The header on the right shows an attached cable as might be used for two front panel USB ports.

What is the model number of the motherboard?

Attached Files:

9. HowdeeDoodee

Thank you for the reply. The pins on my mother board are four pins in a straight row. I have a pc533 M9350 Series Mainboard. According to the manual, the four pins are labeled Read1 and the four USB ports mounted on the mainboard are shared with Read1 (I would guess the four pins indicate a way to connect to other USB ports. Would my guess be correct?

10. HowdeeDoodee

OK, I have determined my mainboard has a connector called JUSB1. This connector can be used to activate the front panel USB ports. I am not sure how just yet but will report back. Thank you for all your help.

11. HowdeeDoodee

OK, my usb connector is on the mainboard. My hopefully last question is how to make the connector connect to the four usb ports on the front of the machine?

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I just did a Google search for Megatrends pc533 M9350 and the only page that was found is the one you have on this site. I can not find any information on any American Megatrends motherboard with a pc533 M9350 part number. Do you know if there any on-line documentation for you rmotherboard?

Unless the front panel includes some kind of USB hub electronics, each of the USB ports will need their own 4 wire connection to the motherboard. The USB headers in the picture from my earlier post each support up to two front panel USB ports. The single connector shown plugged into the right hand header is for two USB ports

13. HowdeeDoodee

No, I could not find any info on the motherboard either. The motherboard came from a StormTek computer sold by Tiger Direct. Thanks for all the info and help. It is appreciated.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1074751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice