1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How Do I Find Out What Is Eating Up My Memory?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HowdeeDoodee, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HowdeeDoodee

HowdeeDoodee Thread Starter

I am running XP. The system is crawling. When I do a Task Manager or Ctrl Alt Delete, the little green square is full up and this is with no programs running except Windows. I am using Finity Soft Memory Manager and this program says Free Ram 54%, Memory Load Index 44%, and CPU 100%. How do I find out what programs are running other than using Task Manager which shows no programs running? Thank you in advance for your replies.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

54% free RAM is very good, unless you don't have very much. Then, it would mean that too little was in use.

Task Manager will show all the processes running on your machine. Click the CPU column header twice to order it from most to least.

3. HowdeeDoodee

Thank you Elvandil for the response. On my Task Manager, I have two columns, Task, and Status. Is this normal? At the moment, as I type this response, Finity Soft says I have used up 100% of CPU, Free Ram is at 60%, Memory Load Index is at 39%. I have Internet Explorer Running, Task Manager Running, and Finity Soft running. Are these numbers normal? Thank you again for your response.

4. Fox2

Fox2

Consider adding more columns to task manager (via the "view" menu) to show memory, peak memory, and the like.

Also consider the possibility that something is heavily using system resources other than memory - the "CPU 100%" sounds like a concern. Is the problem that the system is "thrashing" (out of memory = spending all its time swapping the paging file in and out)? Or is the problem that you have enough memory but something's going on in the background that is using a lot of resources?

I'd suspect background processes are a possibility. Try using MSCONFIG to check what is running on startup, and disable everything that might not be needed. All kinds of programs can drain resources. Look at things like indexing programs and antivirus scans, or stuff you have allowed to run at start-up, as well. Disable and see what happens, then re-enable one at a time or such. Also check for malware - kaspersky offer an online free scanner that detects a wide range of malware as well as the usual antivirus work.

You might also find Warecase eXtended Task Manager useful. It's one of the more informative task manager programs. Others are Whatprocess, and DTaskManager.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

I would suggest getting rid of the Finity Soft memory manager.
    XP does not need any help managing ram and most memory managers attempt to keep ram free, and as we all know, free ram is wasted ram.
    Memory managers "sort of" served a purpose in Windows 95 days on 4 MB boxes when there was a bug in memory management. Since then, they do nothing more than provide a vehicle to increase your pagefile and exercise you harddrive.

So, to confirm what the real numbers are do bring up Taskmanger >Performance Tab.

What is the number for Available under Physical Memory?
    At the bottom, what are the numbers for Processess, CPU usage and Commit charge (xxxxxx M / xxxxxx M).

6. HowdeeDoodee

Thank you for the response. I think I may have an issue with Task Manager. I see none of the features listed under Task Manager Help. I only see two columns in Task Manager as I have noted above." On my Task Manager, I have two columns, Task, and Status." Is there a way to get the 'full" version of Task Manager to show. Also on my Task Manager, sometimes there is no green box indicating CPU usage and therefore, no way to exit out of Task Manager. Is there a way to activate the full version of Task Manager?

Thank you again for the responses.

7. Fox2

Fox2

There isn't a "full" and "non full" version. if you click on each tab in turn, and look at the "view" (or other) menus, you'll find options to select columns, show extra graph information, and so on, for that tab.

8. WhitPhil

Double click on the top edge of TaskManager.

9. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

"I would suggest getting rid of the Finity Soft memory manager"

Excellent suggestion since its taking up ram and processing time.

Your problem isn't memory but cpu utilization. 100% cpu usage is unusual since most of the time it sits idle.

You have all the signs of a malware infection.

Start with doing your routine maintenance.
    update and scan for spyware
    update and scan for virus's
    run chkdsk /r from a cmd prompt, answer yes to the question and reboot so it runs
    run disk cleanup from the system tools menu
    run defragmenter from the same menu

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HowdeeDoodee:

Why don't you post a HijackThis log here so we can see what programs are installed and running in the background?

How much RAM is in your computer?

--------------------------------------------------------------

11. HowdeeDoodee

Thank you again.

I am in the process of the system cleanup. Have been for several days now. I found 256 malware infections on Drive C, ran SuperAntiSpyware again and found no infections.

After runing the spyware cleanup, I see the startup showing in msconfig was was loaded up. So I deleted all the startup items except Avast.

I got Task Manager to show itself like it should (thank you for the hint) and now I see cidaemon.exe continually shows CPU at 90 or above. From what I am reading elseware it looks like another malware or virus. I will keep checking and report back so others can benefit. Further suggestions are welcome.

I volunteer all of my time to help others so I appreciate all of your time and help on this matter. Thank you.

12. WhitPhil

Download, install and run HijackThis

Run the scan and save log option.
    When the LOG file opens in Notepad, select all, copy
    Then, return here and in a reply post, Paste.

If it is Malware, as it appears, we have many experts here that will assist in the removal.

13. HowdeeDoodee

OK, thank you again. My response time here is a little slow as the virus scan and removal and the malware scan and removal (the current one) have taken about 12 hours.

After 2 minutes of bootup, the cpu usage goes to about 2 - 3 percent. Then at about 6 minutes after bootup the cpu usage climbs to 100 percent.

Actions and observations...

SuperSpyware cleaner run and spybots were removed. No change in cpu usage.
    Avast run on drive C, viruses removed. No changed in cpu usage.

When Front Page started there was no change in any of the numbers

Starting programs drops cpu usage down momentarily but cpu usage goes back up.

Starting up IE drops the cpu usage down to about 5%. As the program idles, cpu usage goes up to 100%.

I will download and run HiJack this and report back.

From Task Manager, here are the current numbers with cpu usage at 100%.

These numbers are with a complete virus and spyware scan.

Physical Memory
    Total 10152080
    Available 698316
    Cache 342848

Kernel Memory
    Total 48200
    Paged 35848
    Non Paged 12356

Commit Charge
    Total 260586
    Limit 3131580
    Peak 263440

Totals
    Handles 5872
    Threads 453
    Processes 26

ashSimpl.exe 90+
    with avast in pause mode
    ashSimple 80-90

14. HowdeeDoodee

My memory capacities are as follows.

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 408.18 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.99 GB

15. HowdeeDoodee

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Here is the logfile from HijackThis.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 2:53:56 AM, on 8/9/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\cisvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://runonce.msn.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride =
    ;127.0.0.1;<local>;localhost
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} -
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-
    4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} -
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: FDMIECookiesBHO Class - {CC59E0F9-7E43-44FA-9FAA-8377850BF205} -
    C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\iefdmcks.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [RegisterDropHandler] C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0
    \Bin\REGIST~1.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsearch.com/menusearch.html?
    p=ZHxdm042YYUS
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Windows &Live Favorites - http://favorites.live.com/quickadd.aspx
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download selected with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-
    WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} -C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Run WinHTTrack - {36ECAF82-3300-8F84-092E-AFF36D6C7040} - C:\Program Files\WinHTTrack\WinHTTrackIEBar.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Launch WinHTTrack - {36ECAF82-3300-8F84-092E-AFF36D6C7040} - C:\Program Files\WinHTTrack\WinHTTrackIEBar.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} -

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Favorites Search - {FF925300-80E6-11D4-A15B-FFF9086C1A3C} -

C:\PROGRA~1\DzSoft\FAVORI~1\FavSeek.dll
    O16 - DPF: {08BEF711-06DA-48B2-9534-802ECAA2E4F9} (PlxInstall Class) -

https://www.plaxo.com/down/latest/PlaxoInstall.cab
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} -

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ei-2/HistorySwatterFWBInitialSetup1.0.0.8-
    2.cab
    O16 - DPF: {31E68DE2-5548-4B23-88F0-C51E6A0F695E} (Microsoft PID Sniffer) -

https://support.microsoft.com/OAS/ActiveX/odc.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) -

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?

O16 - DPF: {FE0BD779-44EE-4A4B-AA2E-743C63F2E5E6} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) -

http://pdl.stream.aol.com/downloads/aol/unagi/ampx_en_dl.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O23 - Service: Apache - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\Apache.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil

Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4

\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4

\ashMaiSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4

\ashWebSv.exe
    O23 - Service: MySQL - Unknown owner - C:\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation -

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
    End of file - 6833 bytes

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!