1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I get my bootmgr back

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kapustin Yar, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

Hi, I had to restore my laptop, Toshiba L305 S5933, from Norton Ghost 15. When I did this I got an error saying that the Bootmgr is missing. This is despite the fact I told Norton Ghost to restore the master mbr. I've done this twice and both times I have gotten the same error. I have used the information on this screen:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

and this screen:

http://www.osopinion.com/f17/how-resolve-%93bootmgr-missing-windows-7-a-344/

and this screen:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

One of the problems is that the command prompt I am getting is different from the command prompt they are showing me. My command prompt says :

X:\Sources>

How do I get my bootmgr back?

2. Netghost56

Netghost56

I have been dealing with a similar issue all day.

Have you tried " x:\ " (without quotes) to get to the main x: drive?

X: should be where the Startup Repair console is. In my situation (just facts, not trying to hijack thread)

C: System Reserved
    D: (where the C: has been relocated to)
    E: (where the D: CDROM has been relocated to)
    X: Startup Repair

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Didn't look at the middle link, but either the Microsoft or Sevenforums one should lead to a solution (I think).

The command prompt shows the folder in which you currently reside--in your example above you are in the Sources folder on what Microsoft is calling the "X drive."

To get to a different folder on the same drive use cd (Change Directory [directory is the real term for what Microsoft calls folder]). cd abc would get you to the X:\Sources\abc folder. cd .. goes "up" a level; beginning at x:\Sources then cd .. would put you at X:\.

If you need to get to a different "drive" just type the "drive" letter and a colon. E: would put you at E:\ for example.

Here are some examples (I have put my typing in red for clarity):

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Terry>e:

E:\>c:

C:\Users\Terry>cd Desktop

C:\Users\Terry\Desktop>

4. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

Hi Gang,

This morning, while waiting for replies I re-formated, chkdisked and reinstalled the backup. While it didn't correct the problem when I prompted Windows 7 to fix my startup problem it did. Now I can boot perfectly. Thanks very much for all who helped. It appeared I had a chkdsk problem.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!