1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I know how much memory I need? Question regarding the clinic I work fo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thanhkim, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thanhkim

thanhkim Thread Starter

Hello guys:

I work for a speech and hearing clinic, and we use our computers a lot with various programs. We work for a university, and recently, they upgraded all of our computers to Windows 2007. Since then, some of our computers have been running a lot slower, I understand due to not having enough memory to run the new OS as well as the programs on top of them.

We have gotten it approved to get more memory for at least one computer, but I would like to take a look at all the computers and get memory for them, if they need it, as well.

Can you tell me the minimum amount of memory I would need to run 2007, and how I might look for this information? Where woudl I go and what would I look for.

I can post on here how much is available per computer, and maybe you can help me see which computers we should upgrade, and which we shouldn't.

2. Jones

Jones

First things first: Windows 2007 is known as 'Vista'. Just pointing that out because calling it '2007' would confuse most people as to what you are referring to.

In my experience, here are the 'good' amounts of memory to have:

Windows XP - 1gb
    Windows Vista - 2gb

When it comes to memory however, more is better. It's not unusual for most Windows XP computers to have 2gb (the ideal amount for XP, in my opinion) and Vista computers to have 4gb.

You can find out how much memory is installed on each computer by right-clicking on the 'My Computer' icon and selecting 'Properties'. The pop-up screen should tell you what version of Windows is installed, the processor type and speed, and the amount of installed memory.

However, if you're going to go out and purchase the memory yourself, you'll need more information. You will need to know the brand name and type of RAM (SDRAM, DDR, DDR2?), speed of RAM (400mhz, 533mhz, 800mhz?) and the timings (5-5-5-15?).

Download this program:
    http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php
    it will tell you everything about the computer's hardware, including all the RAM information.

Memory of different specs should not be mixed. If possible, make sure you get the same brand, and match all the specs. If this is not possible, it's better to buy a complete new kit of RAM for the computer. Mixing RAM chips can cause all kinds of stability problems. Nice thing is (depending on the type you need) memory is cheap. You can find 2gb kits for about $50.

Hope this info helps!

3. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Can I ask what country your in so as to be able to look at pricing and sourcing for any further queries you have, thanks :) and yup, you will need to run CPU-Z on all machines and note the existing RAM. Alternatively you could give us a list of Manufacturers and Models of the motherboards.

For you 2GB of RAM for Windows Vista should be just fine, but I suspect your current systems will be all running at about 512MB to 1GB...

4. thanhkim

thanhkim Thread Starter

Oh... actually it is Windows XP, and we installed the Microsoft Office 2007. So that is the difference, sorry.

I'm from the US. But, since we are from university, we will be limited in the people we can go to. I can send you more info later, since a tech guy had already figured out what card to get for one of the computers. I just wanted t make sure that, since we were ordering, maybe we could get more memory for the other computers.

5. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Well, in that case 1GB should suffice! :) Keep us posted if there is anything else...

6. thanhkim

thanhkim Thread Starter

OK. I looked up all the stuff on every computer. I also looked in System Information and found out available physical memory, maybe giving an indication of how many programs we have on each computer that need to be run? I'm not sure exactly, as I'm not a techie. I italicized all the computers that are running slowly. The Y computer also is having a strange display, like black spots over buttons and letters and such. It also freezes on us.

Computers that read the Intel [R] Pentium [R] 4 CPU 3.20 GHz

T: 3.20 GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM, Available Physical Memory (APM) 1.34 GB

A: 3.20 GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM, APM 1.35 GB

J: 3.20 GHz, .99 GB of RAM, APM 542.29 MB

MPL: 3.20 GHz, .99 GB of RAM, APM 619.25 MB

Computers that read Intel [R] Pentium [R] 4 CPU 1.80 GHz

B: 1.79 GHz, 256 MB of RAM, APM 38.48 MB

Y: 1.79 GHz, 512 MB RAM, APM 154.68 MB

MPR: 1.80 GHz, 256 MB RAM, APM 103.98 MB

G: 1.79 GHz, 256 MB, APM 48.57 MB

And this computer reads Intel [R] Pentium [R] 4 CPU 3 GHz

W: 2.99 GHz, 512 MB of RAM, APM 317.93 MB

7. thanhkim

thanhkim Thread Starter

We had a tech guy come and look at the MPR computer, and he came up with the following to order for memory for it. But since we are ordering, I want to order for all the computers. This is the part he said to get for the MPR computer.

"Computer on the right in the Multipurpose room – student computer – memory upgrade: Gateway E4000, S/N 0029783204, memory type DDR PC2700. At Crucial.com – 256MB, Part# CT527308, $18.99. 512MB, Part# CT522458, $31.99.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=E-4000 Series Up to you here, but I would go with either the 512 or the 1GB"

8. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

For that computer you want to buy 2 of the 512MB sticks and run them together (making 1GB) instead of the one exsisting 256MB RAM that is in there already... btw how much do you pay this tech guy? just wondering...

To get the correct info for RAM we need the manufactures and mnodels of the machines, or preferably, the make and model of the 'main board' using that CPU-Z tool on each machine :) thnx

9. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Or you could hop on each computer yourself and go to www.crucial.com and let it Scan your computer.

It will then tell you:
    - The PC's make/model
    - The current amount of memory
    - What type of memory the PC supports
    - and a recommended list of memory parts available for it

If you have the budget for it, I'd consider upgrading all the PC's to at least 1Gb. 2Gb would be better.
    Crucial isn't always the cheapest place to get RAM (kinda middle of the road) but they're guaranteed to work.

10. thanhkim

thanhkim Thread Starter

Well, actually, the best advice I could hope to get from you guys is to tell me which computers need more memory and how much. The guy who helps us works for the university and doesn't charge, though some mess has happened recently, and our department seems to not be getting service, which is why I'm just doing things on my own and asking you.

You said all we need is a gig? Can you help me see which computers need more memory and why? If I just have a minimum number that I can weigh them all against, I can actually ask the university to look up the parts needed. If I have most the thinking done first, perhaps they will actually respond to me inquiries.

11. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Well, 2Gb would optimal. But XP will work just fine with 1Gb.

It really depends on how much multitasking is being done on each PC.

Are they all used for the same types of applications and workload?

I would say PCs B/Y/MPR/G/W need upgrades badly to at least 1Gb.

The first 4 computers can wait if it isn't in the budget.

12. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

I agree, prioritise the last 5 machines an bring them up to 1GB you should be alright. Just out of intrest, how do you find the first 4 computers run the programs you require? :)

13. thanhkim

thanhkim Thread Starter

A question, then. Does me posting the Available physical memory give an idea of the workload on the computers? I'm not sure how to answer that question.

We run various programs on the different computers... speech and language programs. Boardmaker, Earobics... one computer runs a nasometer and has a special soundcard and such.

I was only able to speak to the person who runs the J computer, and she said that her computer does seem slow, though it isn't consistent. "It depends on the day".

14. thanhkim

thanhkim Thread Starter

Hey guys?

I am going to have to find out the specs myself. You said that mixing the wrong parts can destabilize my computer... should I use the crucial.com site or should I use the PC Wizard?

15. thanhkim

thanhkim Thread Starter

Oh. and the Crucial scanner has only recommendations that fill both slots. Do I need to fill both slots? So, I either have to get two 512 MB or two 1 Gig?

Should I link you to the scan, or will that put important info on this public website?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice