1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: how do i move files from c drive to d drive (both hard drives)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by funkysheep, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. funkysheep

funkysheep Thread Starter

Hi guys, computer's running a lil bit slow and wont allow me to install my new mobile phone software as c drive memory is full, i've tried my best to move things to the d drive hard disk but its still really full...

is there any safe way of transferring most of the programs and files over to the second hard drive?

many thanks,
    jen

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Create a Program Files folder on the second drive. Uninstall some programs and reinstall them, specifying a folder on the new drive as an installation location.

You can move your My Document folder to the other drive by right-clicking and changing its location.

In the System properties in Control Panel, you can change the location of your pagefile to the other drive.

In Internet Options, you can move the temporary internet files folder to the other drive.

There are some applications for moving installed programs, such as Aloha Bob's PC Relocator, or Change of Address, but these are not free.

The best idea---get a larger drive and clone the old one to it. Or if your second drive is considerably larger than the first, clear all your files from the second drive, clone the first to the second, and exchange them.

3. adblink182

adblink182

dont try and just "dragging and dropping" your programs onto the new harddrive, because 9/10 they wont work..

the programs will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled in the new location to ensure they work properly...the other stuff like personal files, favourites etc can just be dragged over

4. funkysheep

hi, managed to get change of address 2 - can i copy all of the program files folder at once or should i just do individual ones? thanks Jen

5. funkysheep

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can move the files in "My Documents" by right clicking on that Icon, select Properties . . Under the Target tab, click Move . . browse to the D drive and it will ask if you want to move the files . . say yes and it will do it for you. After that, the system will access and saver files to that drive.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just start the program and follow the directions.

8. funkysheep

cheers guys managed to sort it thanks :)xx

9. funkysheep

hi erm , i think i might have copied some of them by mistake instead of using coa 2 software .. now some of the shortcuts dont work and i get an error relating to windows exe
    thanks, Jen

p.s. i really must stop fiddling round ! cant resist though oops!

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you moved programs manually, you will need to make new shortcuts to the exe's.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/402914