1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I open a *.dotx file?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by diablo75, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

Someone I know received an e-mail from their employer with a bunch of documents in some sort of "dotx" format. I've never seen this extension before, and word 2003 opens it up as a garbled mess.

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

3. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

So this dotx file format is a proprietary TEXT FILE? I feel sorry for the people who think it's easier to pay Microsoft hundreds of dollars for an upgrade just so they can open a TEXT FILE! :mad:

4. WAJ0606

WAJ0606

I would go with the compatibility pack. As 2007 becomes installed on more and more machines you will encounter this file with greater frequency. If you go the other route 2007 as a "Save As" option for a 97-2003 compatible file type.

5. cherry pie

cherry pie

Actually dotx is not a text file, I'm not sure how to put this don't wanna say something wrong, but I've been told that new MS files are formatted in a way using XML or sort of thing (that's where the X comes from). This format makes it save files in a very much smaller size (example an 80kb xls can be 33kb xlsx) and this dramatically appears in larger files... So there is an advantage after all ;)

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

No. It's a "XML-based Word document ".

7. cherry pie

cherry pie

That's what I was trying to say :D

8. coffeefool

coffeefool

(y) This is what has worked for my company!

9. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

I recently sent an e-mail to the technical institute I attended where I obtained my diploma for computer repair and networking. Omitting the name of who I sent it to, as I didn't send it to anyone who works in the administrative branch of Kaw Area Technical School, I leave the rest open for anyone to read and reply to.

Dear _____,

A friend of mine is married to someone who works at KATS. They recently contacted me because KATS sends her regular e-mails containing attachments of documents using the *.dotx file extension. I've learned that this extension is a proprietary Word 2007 format. In addition to this, the attachments can only be downloaded if you are using Internet Explorer, as her web-mail interface is powered by the Microsoft Outlook platform, packaging attachments in some sort of *.ashx container that Firefox can't open.

I was hoping you might be able to shed a little light on something for me, or perhaps pass my thoughts along to someone else in a better position to address my concerns. I remember just before leaving KATS that the administrator had a wild hair for upgrading to Vista and everything else Microsoft 2007 related. I can't help but wonder how much money this kind of "upgrade" is costing the school and taxpayers who subsidize the institution. How can such expenses be justified when contrasted against open-source alternatives that would cost far less to implement to achieve the same or very similar ends?

I'm sure Microsoft discounts the cost of their software in bulk sales made to schools and such, but there is another important issue here besides money spent on software. It kind of goes along the lines of schools getting handouts from companies like Coca Cola and Pepsi for allowing their vending machines to be placed in cafeterias at high schools, or Channel One TV's with their commercial breaks in the class room. What I'm talking about might be called something like "brand name indoctrination." Where an educational institution is coerced into promoting one platform or product over another, passively acting as a kind of proxy for some distant corporations marketing department.

After using Linux for less than a year, I can't think of a single common task carried out in either a classroom or an office that couldn't be done using free and open-source software. E-mail, word processing, presentation, database, spreadsheet, photo editing, audio/video editing, etc. And all of this stuff I've encountered in the world of open-source is high-quality; much more than you would expect for something you didn't have to pay anything for and is dramatically increasing in quality at an exponential rate with time. I believe the popularity of open-source in general is going to have a much larger footprint in the world of computers very soon. It's difficult to believe that at first, until you look at other countries around the world and the trends of computer use outside our borders. It's one thing to talk about a school district switching to open source. But in some places around the world, you'd find entire nations mandating such a switch in the name of saving money and promoting community values.

I'm writing this because I feel that when places like schools embrace proprietary software, more importantly, proprietary file formats, they're implicitly encouraging people to be prejudice towards alternative, less costly open platforms. Platforms that could just as well provide the utility and functionality required to be productive in the classroom or the office or wherever. There is a lot of money out there to be saved and put to better use by educational institutions such as KATS and other school in this state. I hope that someday they will be more proactive in finding ways to achieve such savings which could be put towards further development and advancement in the quality and diversity of the education they provide to our society as a whole.

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

As someone who has been support, I think you have misjudged your school. Any administrator of a general tech-oriented school aiming to teach the students skills that will be of use in the greater world really has little choice but to teach Microsoft. (Regardless of whether it is the best or not - and I do enjoy Linux and almost always use Firefox, but, duh, MS doesn't make their webpages compatible to other browsers!)
    At any rate, if a school only taught Linux and, say, Opera, they would have a very limited # of students and probably would soon go out of business.
    Yes, Vista largely bites it (sorry cherry pie!) although Office 2007 looks interesting.
    But I am a huge user of Access and Excel and have yet to find any alternative, even OO, that can match their abilities.

11. cherry pie

cherry pie

:(
    :D

12. slurpee55

slurpee55

LOL - sorry sweetie....:D
    Maybe after, oh, service pack 7 or so..I might like Vista (n)

13. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Personally I'm a fan of Vista and Office 2007. Saying that, there are a lot of flaws with Vista, and quite a few with Office 2007 (but less IMO). Anyone can view the 2007 file formats with the Viewer and Compatability pack upgrade. This is an issue that was largely discussed a long time prior to Office 2007 release (at least at length with the Excel community). The key is for both senders and receivers, developers and users, all alike, to be conscientious of the file formats they are using. But whatever the version, there are options. :)

14. slurpee55

slurpee55

Well, I have limited experience with Vista, but, unfortunately, it has mostly been helping people with programs that didn't work, no decent drivers (if any), yadda, yadda, yadda. This has been a family clash, however, for my son was doing Vista support for MS... ;)

15. caraewilton

caraewilton

docx is the new format for word 2007. Go to the microsoft website and download the compatability pack for 2003. Follow the instructions and install.
    This should allow you to view the document.

If not run a search on the microsoft site "word 2007 viewer":)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice