1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: how do I open locked folders?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by scottspa, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scottspa

scottspa Thread Starter

I have recently had to reinstall Windows 7 Pro x64 after a problem with trying to reinstall Rollback Rx. Now when I try to access some folders I see a small padlock icon on the folder and am unable to access it. I am the only user of this pc and previously I had full access. What have I done this time? I normally crash my computer about once a month but the last 5 days I have had to reinstall 4 times. I am registered as the Administrator. (My nickname is Wrecker). Thanks scottspa. info on my system:-
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 12286 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152524 MB, Free - 120039 MB; D: Total - 99 MB, Free - 84 MB; E: Total - 134073 MB, Free - 132258 MB; F: Total - 152627 MB, Free - 148604 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., X58A-UD7
    Antivirus: Internet Security Anti-Virus, Updated and Enabled

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It depends how they were locked. The administrator does not have access to everything. What happens when you try to open them?

If they were encrypted on the old system and you did not export your key, they are gone forever.

Where were the files that they did not get deleted during the reinstallation?

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im wondering what other problems you have that your computer crashes once a month as you stated.Yes computers do crash on occasion but that seems to be an indicator i would think that something is wrong somewhere.

4. scottspa

scottspa Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil, I have 5 hard drives, but now Windows only recognizes 4, and I have all my data, documents etc installed on other drives. After the reinstallation I just either bring them back onto my C drive or make a link. They have never been locked before. I just tried to access System Volume Information and the message is "C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied"
    Thanks for the reply, "Wrecker"

5. scottspa

scottspa Thread Starter

Hi SUEOHIO, The problem is the operator/owner. I live in a house by myself without much money, I'm an aged pensioner, and get bored. So I go on my computer and try to change it etc. I had this computer built last year with the last of my money and it is fast and good. Recently in a reinstallation I tried to put Rollback Rx back on but now it wont install. I've contacted the support group and they suggested I unplug all my hard drives, plug them back up again and then try to reinstall again. Since then my computer went very curious and I have had to formatt and reinstall 4 times in the last few days. It is working very fast and good but there must be a setting I must change. I have tried opening a folder, failed, so I right click the folder, select Properties, Security, Edit and change the settings to Allowed but it still will not let me access. My memory is going down so do you know what I must've done. Thanks for the reply, "Wrecker"

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im not sure what you have done to be honest. But theres a lot of knowledgeable people on here that can help you out.I just happened to notice that you mentioned it crashing a lot and felt that what ever is causing it should be looked into.For me one harddrive is enough to worry about in my laptops and my desktop 5 would be very confusing.lol!!!

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

System Volume Information is always locked, so that is not representative.

But for others, try using Take Control to take ownership of the files in case permissions are involved. Or add Take Ownership to your context menu for easy access (the removal file is included if you want to get rid of it later).

8. scottspa

scottspa Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil, I've just used your link and downloaded Take Control. I knew Svi is always locked but I wanted to know what I message I was getting so I used it to produce the error message. Thanks again, Wrecker.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did that work?

If so:

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

10. scottspa

scottspa Thread Starter

Thank you SUEOHIO and Elvandil for try to assist me. Elvandil that Take Command program did nothing for me but it made me think. I used to have a tool called Take Ownership and when I looked through my downloads drive there it was. I installed it and now perfect ownership when I right click on any folder and select Take Ownership - I have it. Even System Volume Information too. Thanks you from the PC Wrecker.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

I linked it above in post #7.

12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You are very welcome. Im glad its all solved for you.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice