1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I organize file groups in XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Murrquan, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Murrquan

Murrquan Thread Starter

Hi, all. I've been reading up on XP's features, and I really like the Luna interface, and how well-organized the Start Menu and the Explorer are. Like Groups -- how when you open My Computer it's got "Files Stored on This Computer," "Hard Disk Drives," and "Devices with Removable Storage." I've found out how to create groups and organize them based on name, file type, date last accessed, and so on.

But what I really want to do is create custom groups, with their own names, and drag-and-drop files and folders into them. Like when I open My Documents, and all of my document folders are mixed in with My Music and such. I want to create a custom group and put My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos in it, and then have all my other folders in a second group. How do I do that?

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

It appears this is what you desire- right click on a blank part of the My Documents page; left click "new"; left click "folder" (or simply press "F"). Then you can name the folder(s) and move files to the appropriate folder.

{redoak}

3. Murrquan

Murrquan Thread Starter

>.< Neg, that is not what I needed. Thank you, though.

I'm looking for ways to sort the folders themselves into groups with their own separate headers, like how things are organized when you click on My Computer. And there are ways of doing that -- from My Documents, go to View -> Arrange Icons by -> Show in Groups, and it automatically groups them by name alphabetically. Then you can select other things to group files and folders by, from View -> Arrange Icons by or View -> Choose Details ... .

I really want to create my own groups, with their own custom names, that I can drag-and-drop files and folders into. But I'm still not sure how to do that ...

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I think you are wanting to make some sub folders with the different Group Names.
    This is done in My computer or My Documents, and then select File, New, Folder. At this time a "New Folder" name will appear and you can type in the Name that you want to use for this folder.

5. Murrquan

Murrquan Thread Starter

Thank you, DaveA, but that doesn't really address my issue. ^.^; I thank you both for trying, though.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It sounds like you want to add a file property. That would be quite a change to the operating system and not something I've seen or heard done before.

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You could write your own Column-Handler, so it would be available as a column to add in Details view. You would also have to write the code to identify the aspect of the file you want to sort by, and to add that info to the file somehow, while making that info transparent to the program that actually reads the file. Not exactly a trivial task.

Creating Column Handlers

8. Murrquan

Murrquan Thread Starter

Hm ... yep, that seems complicated.

It's kind of annoying that I can't just right-click and select New Group ... and then name it, especially when My Computer uses custom groups. >.< Ah, well.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Please go to Thread Tools and choose "Solved." That will indicate to folks that you no longer need assistance. The courtesy will be appreciated.

{redoak}

10. Murrquan

Murrquan Thread Starter

Understood, sir. Many thanks.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice