1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How Do I Re Install The Audio Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dahlster, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dahlster

dahlster Thread Starter

I have accidentally started the process of uninstalling the audio driver (Realtek AC'97 Audio) from my laptop.

The volume icon had disappeared from the taskbar and when I tried to
    'place the icon in the taskbar' in Sound and Audio Devices Properties I got the error message:
    'Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Contol program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.'

I went to Add/Remove Programs but obviously did something wrong.

When I click on
    'Update Driver' in Realtek AC'97 Audio Properties I get the message:
    'You cannot update the driver for this device at this time because it is in the process of being removed. You must restart your computer before the new setting will take effect.'
    I get the same message when I click on 'Roll Back Driver'

I think the problem occured when I included some Windows compents when I used Disk Cleanup to free some disk space a few days ago.

Is there anything I can do to reverse or prevent the process from completing before I switch the laptop off?

If not, what's the best way to re install the driver?

LAPTOP: Acer Aspire 3613WLMi
    OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows XP Home Edition

Any help will be much appreciated

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. dahlster

dahlster Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your reply,
    I ran System Restore and can now see it in Add/Remove Programs but it hasn't quite done the trick so I'm going use the link you gave to reinstall it.

But I have a couple of questions:
    Under the Download heading do I choose Site 1, Site 2, or Site 3
    Where exactly do I save the downloaded file to

Thanks.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can choose any of the sites, they are just alternatives if one is slow or busy.

You can save it anywhere you like, just remember where you saved it too so that you can run it to install the drivers.

5. dahlster

dahlster Thread Starter

I ran System Restore but it didn't solve my problem. I then reinstalled the driver, that didn't work either. So, I ran System Restore to an even earlier date and that worked.

Thanks for your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice