1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do i recover files/folders from Outlook Express on a different drive?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by KorruptSoul, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KorruptSoul

KorruptSoul Thread Starter

I recently had to install Windows on another hard drive because of a problem on my previous drive. I can still access that drive from my new drive, but i need to recover important files/folders from my Outlook Express on the old drive. Right now i'm using the standard Outlook Express that comes with XP Pro, but if i remember correctly on the old drive i upgraded it to Microsoft Office 2003 Outlook...don't know if that matters...:confused:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Outlook Express and MS-Outlook 2003 are two different programs and both can be installed and running on the same computer at the same time.

Outlook Express uses files with a .dbx extensions for e-mails and .wab extensions for address book files. Outlook 2003 stores everything (except account log-in details) in files with a .pst extension. The easiest way to find them on the old drive is to search for files with those extensions. You will need to enable the search to look in System and Hidden file locations.

Depending on what you are using for an e-mail client on the new computer, it may be able to import or open the found files.

3. KorruptSoul

I enabled System & Hidden file locations and searched for all three file extensions with no luck.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    For Outlook files, try looking in:
    <current drive letter>:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Where <username> was your user name on the old computer

For Outlook Express files, try looking in:
    <current drive letter>:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{<unique-alphanumeric-string>}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Where <username> was your user name on the old computer and <unique-alphanumeric-string> is a long hyphenated string of letters and numbers and there may be more than one.

5. KorruptSoul

Excellent, the first option worked! I see 4 files, but two of interest are titled: archive.pst, and Outlook.pst. How do i go about opening/importing those files into my new Outlook? Or is a drag and drop possible? Thx.

6. KorruptSoul

And actually the 2nd option worked better, i just chose Outlook Express 6 and am now importing all alphanumeric strings and getting EVERYTHING, thank you so much for your help, case closed!

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome.

Once you have confirmed that you have imported all of your old emails and addresses, can you please come back and mark this topic as being solved.

If you stopped using Outlook Express on the old computer and only used Outlook for a while, all of your most recent e-mails on the old computer would not show up if you only imported the Outlook Express files.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/938135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice