1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I remove Administrator password from XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Margstertz, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Margstertz

Margstertz Thread Starter

I am computer challenged! I have Windows XP Pro dial up. I was trying to download AVG Free edition which I have done before with no problem. I made several attempts and was told to remove other antivirus spy ware. That seemed to be working after 4 hrs I was asked for my administrator password. I didn't have one and I never had to do it before. I was advised to create one, so I did. That didn't work either now its worse for other things as well. Is there a way to get rid of the password and restore it to back to were it was originally. I tried system restore but that didn't work. Thanks!:confused:

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Got to Control Panel | User Accounts
    Select the account
    Click Remove my password.
    Enter the current password and click Remove password.

3. Margstertz

Thanks! Unfortunatly there is no remove password only change password. and manage password.It shows my email (passport) and has add and delete. I was afraid if i delete I would lose my email address?

4. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

As OutCaste suggested, log into the relevant account and opt to change the password. You then leave it blank although it`ll ask you for the existing password to confirm that you`re the correct person changing it.

Jenny

5. Margstertz

Thank you Jenny and OutCaste! boy I'm glad I found this site! It worked. Now if I could only download AVG antivirus free in less then 8hrs. LOL can't wait to get high speed.LOL

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!