1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] How do I restore?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MacAn McVan, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MacAn McVan

MacAn McVan Thread Starter

Hi Everybody

1st) let me say how glad I am this community is available and happy to help. I sure do appreciate it.

2nd) I believe I need to do a restore to my Windows XP. How do I do that? But before I sign off, let me tell you why I think I need to do this, incase one of you has a more appropriate solution.

2 weeks ago I finally got DSL. I installed the SBC software as instructed and with a few glitches got up and running. Since this install my computer has slowed down considerably. It is just grinding away for everything. The print spooler is slow, opening programs is slow, Explorer keeps crashing and a few odd things are going on.

Odd thing #1) Everytime I shut down a window comes up saying "SmartConnect is not responding"

Odd thing #2) When I check processes in Windows Task Manager (control/alt/delete) there are about a page and a half of processes running all of which say 00 in the CPU column, expect for CManager.exe which flickers between 98 and 99.

Things that I know) There is a folder under C/programs/SBC/ called connection manager and in that folder are two files called smartconnectproxy.dll and smartconnect.

I called tech support at SBC and he tells me it's a windows issue and that I should do a restore to a point before I installed their software. I asked if I could just uninstall thier software? He didn't advice it, saying that unistalling has been known to cause problems with peoples computers. He also said that I do not need to use the SBC software inorder to access their DSL. ****, I wish I knew that before.

So what now?

Annette

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

GO to start, program files, accessories, system tools and you should see system restore.

if you are very lucky, you will have a recent restore point. If you are not, then your restore point may be several months old or it may not even be there. depends on your system.

If you dont see a restore point or your restore point doesnt work then I would suggest uninstalling the software and if it gives you errors, we can walk you through a repair installation of xp.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

actually, tell me a little about your system.

processor speed, amount of memory, etc.

EDIT:

just noticed you mentioned the file "CManager.exe ".

try going to start, run, typing "msconfig" without the quotes and hitting enter.

then click the startup tab and see if you see that program. If so, uncheck it and reboot. see if it helps.

4. MacAn McVan

Hi Jtoast

If I uncheck cmanager.exe will that cause me problems with my DSl connection?

Here is my system details

System Information report written at: 11/02/2003 8:10:49 PM
    System Name: KHAHTSAHLANO
    [System Summary]

Item Value
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name KHAHTSAHLANO
    System Manufacturer MEDIONPC
    System Model AWRDACPI
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~1992 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 15/05/2002
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)"
    User Name KHAHTSAHLANO\Annette MacKay
    Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 287.91 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 1.72 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.32 GB
    Page File Space 1.22 GB

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

That file seems to be the connection manager for your DSL but I cant find whether or not its essential.

I would uncheck it, try the dsl and if it doesnt work, then I would recheck it again :)

EDIT:

looks like its a form of diagnostic/troubleshooting program. should be ok to disable it.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For a "diagnostic" program to be using all the available processor time, it must be one hell of a program! :D

7. MacAn McVan

Hi Jtoast

I've done as you suggested and here is the result

1) DSL connects just fine.
    2) Windows task manager shows nice and normal CPU usage is now about 1.5%. That's much better.
    3) On restart I got a System Config Utility window that tells me Sys Config is currently running in diagnostic or selective mode - which is causing this window to display. It further tells me to choose normal startup mode and to reboot, thus undoing the changes I made.

I did that and it recheck the CManager and recreates the original problem of sucking resources.

How should I handle this? Given that I get a DSL connection and that you say this seems to be a diagnostic program, do you think I can get away with just deleting it?

Thanks

A

8. Jtoast

Jtoast

I wouldnt delete it(just in case unless its a huge file and you need the space) but i would go ahead and leave it unchecked.

when you get the message about the sysconfig utility, just click ok to keep the changes and dont worry about it.

9. Jtoast

Jtoast

10. Tushman

Tushman Banned

It will be a cold day in hell before any of these tech support guyz ever admit its their fault and pull their heads outta their butt. Heaven forbid they actually know what the heck they are talkin about. When they don't know the answer.. they just blame it on M$ because they are an easy target and it's infinitely easier to just to give an flippant answer... "hey don't blame us...it's Microsoft."

Like you're not having problems now???? So where the logic in that statement?? Is he telling you that uninstalling their software will improve or degrade the performance?????

You've already outlined the symptoms you're having - i mean how
    much worse can it get? If things are running so sluggish to the point where you have to do a system restore, then attempting to UNINSTALL the said software is not a bad idea really . What do you have to lose?

I'm gonna hold my tongue on that one cuz i could really let loose on these assinine jerks that deceptively make you think you need to use it. At the very least, they could give you something in writing saying you don't need to install it onto your PC.

If for whatever reason, system restore is a no go, or if you don't want to do it because you it's too far back and you will lose too much, then my first advice is to UNINSTALL the SBC smart connection software. The whole darn thing. Get rid of it. Afterwards run a good registery cleaner to make sure it's not going to cause further problems.

There's something funky about that smart connection manager that is not playing nice w/ your system. I'm not an XP user but i know with Win98 SE there was a sfc command - system file checker. Does anyone know if that is available under XP as well? If so, i would try that as well.

Good luck and let us know how you fare.

11. Jtoast

Jtoast

If you do choose to uninstall the software, go all the way back to my first post, see how to get to system restore and set a restore point .....Just in case :D

12. MacAn McVan

OK. I've done a system restore. I had a restore date for Jan 27th. That was only a few days before I installed the SBC stuff. And I've only installed - well updated actually - two programs since then.

I've created a new network connection and everything seems to be happy.

Tomorrow, I will redo those two programs.

Thank you so much for all of your help. I learn so much everytime I come here. I hope some day my knowledge will grow to the point where I feel confident helping others too.

Annette

13. Jtoast

Jtoast

Glad we were able to help get you up and running.

Helping people is the best way to learn in my opinion.

Find a problem and do some quick research (google and support.microsoft.com are great starts usually).

For example, on your issue I simply typed the name of the program you mentioned in google and was able to figure out fairly quickly what it did.

14. MacAn McVan

Tushman

I completely agree with you on all counts. I'm learning to come here first rather than call the approved techies.

The advice and assistance I've received here at TechSupportGuy has always been way more useful than any help I've gotten from an approved techie. And the experience has always been more pleasant.

Thanks for being here everyone and for sharing your expertise. You are all to be commended.

Happy in cold California (really!)

Annette

15. MacAn McVan

Jtoast

You are brilliant. You make it sound so easy.

Thank you

Annette

Who is feeling very self satisfied, and will reward herself by curling up in bed with a good book. Enough computer stuff for tonight. Sweet dreams.........zzz..zzz.zzz.zzz...zzzzz

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!