1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I save disk space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jerricho, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jerricho

jerricho Thread Starter

My notebook's hard drive is almost full. Its a 33 GB hard drive with only 4.8 GB of free space at present. I have deleted all unnecessary files and cleaned my drives and even compressed folders and subfolders but all these didn't make much of a difference. Is there a way I can free up my drive space?

I am running Windows XP

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Just a thought

What is it that is taking up the most space... pictures, videos

you could burn the files that you use the least to dvd

3. jerricho

jerricho Thread Starter

The maximum space usage in descending order:
    1. Games
    2. Videos
    3. Applications/Programs

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

Not sure about putting the games on dvd mainly because I wouldn't waste my time playing computer generated games ... so I really no nothing about them... ;) but you could certainly put all the videos on disks

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Some Easy Ways To Reclaim Hard Drive Space:

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, click Properties, move the slider from 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties - System Restore(tab), move the slider from 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Go into the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder, then delete everything from inside that TEMP folder.

Go into the C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\(USERNAME)\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP folder, then delete everything from inside that TEMP folder.

(Note: If you're unable to find this folder, double-click MY COMPUTER, click Tools - Folder Options - View(tab), select "Show hidden files and folders", then click Apply - OK)

Empty the Recycle Bin, then restart your computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

There are a few other things you can do to free space:
    Disable System Restore, then re-enable it. This clears all old restore points.

If you don't use the Hibernate feature, disable it and then delete the hiberfil.sys file.

You can delete all TMP files that can be deleted. Open a command window and type:
    DEL C:\*.TMP /S /Q at the prompt. This does the same thing that flavalee posted above but more agressively.

If you are satisified with the way your PC is running and are sure you don't want to un-install any Microsoft updates that are on your computer, you can delete all C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKBXXXXXX$ folders (XXXXXX are numbers).

7. jerricho

jerricho Thread Starter

Fantastic !!! Thanks a lot everyone, I followed your suggestions and freed more than 3 GB of space.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can mark your threads solved, as I have done, instead of reporting them to be closed. Glad you found some useful suggestions.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice