Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: how do i save my acronis11 backup on a cd???????

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  see007 
#1 ·
Hello guys
how do I save my acronis11 backup on a cd? In other words I want to have the back on cds and not on my portable hard drive, as you know the backup data is too big to be in a cd and I was woundring if it’s possible to fit it on cds...anyone can help? Please tell me step by step how to do that
p.s my version is( Acronis 11 home)
Cheers:)

#2 ·
When you use Acronis to create then backup you can have it cut the output into several small pieces so you can put it onto CD's or DVD's later or you can create the backup directly to CD or DVD. I believe the option to split the image is in the Additional settings when you are making the backup image.

#3 ·
When I first got Acronis, I tried putting the backup images on CD. It turned out to be a very clumsy and unreliable method. First of all was the number of CD's needed to backup my drive. It's been a long time but I remember it was a large number of CD's. The next problem I read about was even if one is successful in getting the image on multiple CD's, they do not always work to restore the image. This was a long time ago, so maybe that particular problem has gone away. There is nothing they can do, however, about the number of CD's it takes to create an image. DVD's are better simple because of the capacity difference. It also take a lot more time to go through the backup and restore process whether you use CD's or DVD's.

I have an 80GB external HDD where I store my images. It is currently using about half the capacity of the drive and has the original full backup image and 10 differential backup images. I've also made the drive bootable into Acronis, so all I need do to restore an image is go into BIOS at startup and select the external drive as the first boot device.

Raybro

#4 ·
I agree, go for an XHDD. Then install "CobianBackup" and also regularly backup your data files/My Docs separately. I do this weekly without doing an Acronis backup, unless something has changed in my "System and Programs" "C" partition. Do not have the XHDD active, except when doing backups.

raybro: What did you have to do to accomplish the underlined below?

"I've also made the drive bootable into Acronis, so all I need do to restore an image is go into BIOS at startup and select the external drive as the first boot device."

{redoak}

#5 ·
raybro: What did you have to do to accomplish the underlined below?

"I've also made the drive bootable into Acronis, so all I need do to restore an image is go into BIOS at startup and select the external drive as the first boot device."

{redoak}
It's a small executable that creates what is referred to as an "FAT32 empty Acronis file". It's Zip file that after unzipping , you execute to the drive you wish to boot into Acronis.It only occupies 125MB of space. I also did the same thing with a thumb drive.

You can download it here.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the program will create it's own partition on the drive.

EDIT 2: It has been a while since I used this. Click here for instructions on how to use the zip file. Sorry to be so disconnected.

EDIT 3: I sincerely apologize to all who have read this post. It's been such a long time since I did this on my system, I forgot there are a number of specific steps that must be done. They are all clearly laid out here and a .pdf document needed can be downloaded here (Note: This link is on the page in the first link). Again, I'm sorry for the major disconnect and can only hope I've not misled anyone.

Raybro

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.