Solved: How do I save that file?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xico

I found this tip to speed up the menu popup in Ubuntu 9.10, Linux Mint.

By default there is a slight delay for menus. To change this follow these steps:

Open up a terminal window.
Enter nano ~/ .gtkrc-2.0
Add s single line gtk-menu-popup-delay = 0
Save that file
Log out and log in
You should now notice no delay in your menu popup speed.
Okay, I got that far, but how do I save that file? When I was going to simply exit, it told me that this would be lost because a process was still running.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. 3 seconds is 3 seconds many times over. :eek: :D

Thanks,

xico

I suppose you can always boot up another Linux Live CD, mount the Linux partition in question and edit the file.

Hi xico,

Try the following commands:
[email protected]:~$ nano .gtkrc-2.0
and when in the nano editor, highlight the string "gtk-menu-popup-delay = 0" with your cursor, and copy/paste it into the nano editor window (use right-click), then use CTRL-o to write the single line to the file .gtkrc-2.0, and then CTRL-x to exit the nano editor.

Then log out and log in.

Follow the nano editor turorial.

-- Tom

xico

Hi xico,

Try the following commands:
[email protected]:~$ nano .gtkrc-2.0
and when in the nano editor, highlight the string "gtk-menu-popup-delay = 0" with your cursor, and copy/paste it into the nano editor window (use right-click), then use CTRL-o to write the single line to the file .gtkrc-2.0, and then CTRL-x to exit the nano editor.

Then log out and log in.

Follow the nano editor turorial.

-- Tom
Thanks, Tom! I got it! :Cool:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts