1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I share my ethernet link with another pc through a router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eleve, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eleve

eleve Thread Starter

:confused: Ok, I recently moved into an apartment with an ethernet link all ready to go. I was told that I could use my Linksys BEFSR41 wired router to share this connection with my other pc (before I moved in). Now that I am here, and trying to set everything up, I am having problems.

I have the cables right.. ethernet cable to the WAN port on the router, separate cables from 1 and 2 slots on the router to the pcs.. and in network connections on the pcs, I am getting LAN connected. On the host pc, I also have a Internet Connection gateway above the LAN connection.. it says "Disabled". I tried right clicking it and selecting Enable, and it tells me that it is connected but it still reads Disabled. And of course, neither pc can access the internet.

I have tried contacting the apartment manager for more details about the ethernet, but I was told rather brusquely that the management only supports direct links and not routers. At this point I feel I am being given the brush off in this matter and am unlikely to get further, useful information from the office. That is why I have turned to this community to help me resolve the problem.

Things I have tried:
    Powered down pcs and router for several minutes, and then powered up router, waited a couple minutes, and powered up pcs.
    Checked settings on both pcs; verified that they will never try to dial a connection and LAN settings have no options checked.

Other facts:

Ethernet link is working, as when I have just a direct connection without the router, I can get one pc on the internet.
    Both pcs are running Windows XP Home.
    Both pcs set to obtain IP automatically; router has DHCP enabled.
    Both pcs are part of the same workgroup.
    I don't have a modem for this connection. The ethernet cable runs from the ethernet outlet directly to my external router.
    I'm not trying to share files with both pcs, I just want them both to share the ethernet connection.
    The router I believe to be in good working condition, since I just moved from a different apartment where I used it to route a cable connection to both pcs.

I have wracked my brain on this subject, as well as searched the router user manual and done hours of online research. I am thoroughly and completely stumped. Thank you in advance for all the help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just to start from a known condition reset the router to factory settings.

Do either/both PCs get an IP configuration assigned from the router? Can you ping the router? Can you access the router and login with a browser? If so, what is the status of the WAN connection?

3. eleve

eleve Thread Starter

>Just to start from a known condition reset the router to factory settings.

I reset the router as you suggested. As you might suspect, the problem still exists.

>Do either/both PCs get an IP configuration assigned from the router?

The router assigns IPs for both LAN and WAN.

>Can you ping the router?

Yes, I can ping the router just fine, no problems there. This was successful when I tried it from each pc.

>Can you access the router and login with a browser?

Yes I can access the router status page.

>If so, what is the status of the WAN connection?

When I ping the WAN IP the request times out. I tried this on both pc's just to be sure the pc wasn't the problem.

Thanks for the help so far :)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "The router assigns IPs for both LAN and WAN."

Uh, not sure I understand. If you reset to factory settings, I would expect the router to be obtaining it's WAN IP from whatever is at the other end of that ethernet connection. Is that what you meant? Or are you assigning an IP statically (if so, that's the problem).

"When I ping the WAN IP the request times out."

That's normal; means nothing. How about a ping of the WAN gateway?

Something just occurred to me. If your router and the apartment's router are both using the same subnet (e.g., 192.168.1.x) something will fail for sure. If this is the case, and I'm willing to help you determine but am pretty sure you know how, you need to change your router's LAN to something different (e.g., 192.168.1.x -> 192.168.2.x).

5. eleve

eleve Thread Starter

>If you reset to factory settings, I would expect the router to be obtaining it's WAN IP from whatever is at the other end of that ethernet connection. Is that what you meant?

Yes, that is what I meant to say.

>That's normal; means nothing. How about a ping of the WAN gateway?

Ok, here is where I start to reach the limits of my knowledge on this topic. On the router page, under WAN it has an IP listed for Default Gateway, which I was able to ping successfully. This was not unexpected, however, because it appears to be the same as the LAN IP address.

>Something just occurred to me. If your router and the apartment's router are both using the same subnet (e.g., 192.168.1.x) something will fail for sure.

I don't know for sure what the apartment has set up because the manager seems unknowledgable and unwilling to find out about it. If you're pretty sure this is the problem then I could try to do it. I was wondering if the router was expecting to find a modem, but I am not sure how to tell or what impact it might have, nor how to fix any potential problem there.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your router's WAN default Gateway is the IP address of the apartment's router. And you've said that it is the same as your router's LAN address. So change your router's LAN address (I'd change the 3rd number).

I should have thought of this earlier. The apartment is almost definitely using a router similar to yours. Most of these routers have default LAN IP address of 192.168.n.1, where n is 0, 1 or 2. And, in this situation, your WAN is their LAN. :)

"wondering if the router was expecting to find a modem"

Well, sorta. It's expecting to get a public IP address, which by definition would be in a different subnet than its private LAN address.

Assuming this gets you working, when you post success you can use the Thread Tools in the upper right to mark 'solved.'

7. eleve

eleve Thread Starter

*hugs TerryNet*:D

Solved! Thank you so much for your time in helping me resolve my problem and for educating me further in network setup and troubleshooting.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You are quite welcome, eleve.

Terry

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/470084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice