1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do I swap DNS servers?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by V-man, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

I got a Nintendo Wii recently and i keep getting error code when i try to connect to the internet wirelessly (not sure if thats a word) and i consulted a website saying i should change over the DNS servers on my router just would like to know how ?

2. Phoenyx

Phoenyx

Access your router's internal configuration pages and find the area (typically labled WAN) that allows you to see your WAN IP, DHCP server address (from your ISP), and DNS servers. You should have the ability to specify DNS servers on your router just like you can on a computer.

3. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

ive found the primary and secondary DNS but they are blank what do i do?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Before you swap them in the router, you can simply configure them on one workstation to see if the new DNS servers work. Then, if you're happy with them, put them into the router's configuration.

The reason that both DNS addresses are blank in the router is because it's setup to automatically receive them using DHCP from your ISP.

5. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

so how do i switch between the two so my nintendo wii can connect to the net?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why does the WII need a different DNS server? :confused: That doesn't sound right.

7. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

it comes up with an error code so i looked it up on a Wii help site and it told me to change the router channel to one or eleven i did that and switch between the primary DNS server and Secondary DNS server and i want to know how i do that.

8. Phoenyx

Phoenyx

Could you list the error code you are receiving as well as the website from which you are getting the information about the DNS settings?

Also, and this may be a stupid question since I do not own a Wii and don't know much about them, but do you have any ports forwarded on your router to allow Wii-specific traffic?

9. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

wii error code : 52030 AND 51130
    www.wiierror.com
    ports? no idea what your on about man?

10. Phoenyx

Phoenyx

OK. I'll have to wait about 20 minutes before I'm able to check those out since content filtering is preventing me from getting to the site.

As for the ports, I will assume that it isn't necessary until I have information otherwise. I wouldn't sweat it too much right now.

11. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

so what do i do jsut wait for u?

12. Phoenyx

Phoenyx

Wii Error 51130: Seems to be related to how you have your wireless router set up. If you are able to change your router from "G only" to "Mixed mode" you should be good on that one.

Wii Error 52030: Seems to either be related to the MTU setting on your router or that you might need to specify the IP address on the Wii.

Didn't see anything about DNS settings, so I'm not sure that they would be affecting you.

13. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

MTU what should i set it too??

14. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

*bump

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice