Solved: How do I Update Drivers?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pjs826

I recently built a computer and was advised in the instructions, to update the drivers.
It has a Chaintech NVidia 7NJL6 MB, Sempron 2800+ processor and a Chaintech NVidia GEforce MX4000 Graphics card. I'm running XP Home SP2.

I've never updated drivers and was wondering which drivers to use.

MY 7NJL6 is version 5.1.2600.0 from 7/1/2001
Processor shows Version 5.1.2600.0 from 7/1/2001
SHMX4000 Video card is version 6.1.7.2 from 7/1/2004

Where do I get the drivers from? and should they come up as windows XP compatable?

What's the procedure for updating te drivers?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Get the drivers from Chaintech--you can usually find them in the support or download section. If that doesn't work go to Nvidia's site.

Right click on My computer/properties/Hardware/Device Manager. Locate the device in question---Right click on it and chose Properties/Update Driver--Then just follow directions. Make sure that when you download your drivers that you put them in a place you can find through the Browse button you will see when you are asked to chose the driver.

pjs826

I did go to NVidia. I wasn't sure whether I should go to Chaintech, NVidia or use Microsoft update. Originally, I read something about non-Microsoft updates, not being compatable.
I've now updated the video card drivers, so that's no longer an issue.

Do I need to update the proccessor and/or MB drivers?

It's really only necessary if you experience problems that may be driver-related. If no problems, it may be better to leave well-enough alone.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online