1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How do you hide a Windows Update?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cxm322, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cxm322

cxm322 Thread Starter

How do you hide a Windows Update for WinXP Pro?

WinXP Help reveals nothing about hiding updates. It only mentions that you can restore hidden updates for installation.

I could not find anything on Google or Yahoo. I came across a MS support page and, still, it only mentions hiding updates, but not how to do it. :rolleyes:

I just got the IE7 update and I don't want to install IE7 it just yet. However, unless I install it, my update notifier will keep bugging me about it. So, I figure if I can just hide it until I am ready to install IE7, then I want to do that.

I have never even noticed any option to hide any updates on prior updates either, BTW. That's just something I would never have missed.

Anyone know how to hide updates?

2. cxm322

cxm322 Thread Starter

I feel very dumb. I just now figured it out and it's simple...

All you have to do is uncheck the update you don"t want to install and then the download button changes to a close button. After you hit close you are told that the unselected updates will NOT be installed then it gives you the option to never be notified of that update again. VOILA!

Duh!!! :D

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can also go to Windows Update and do a scan and hide them there.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Since the Update has already downloaded going to Windows Update will not work it only works for before the update is sent. What you can try is this:

Open control panel
    Open Security center
    Clcik on automatic updates
    On the screen that shows put the dot in download but let me choose when installed.
    Press apply or OK and exit out.

This might be the only way to stop this from being installed but you would still get the notification (possibly)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/514829