1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How enable active X controls?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mwredt, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

I am running Windows ME ona laptop with an 800 MHz AMD processor. I tried to run an online scanner on my laptop computer at pandasoftware called activescan but could not because the laptop is not allowing or does not have active X on it. How do I get active X on or allowed so I can do the scan?

2. junker39

junker39

ControlPanel-InternetOptions-Security-CustomLevel-
    Go down the list. It's best to set to "prompt" so you'll know when and what is being done.

3. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

I changed all the controls to 'promt' and tried again to run activescan clicking on 'yes' whenever permission to run activeX came up but still did not work. It gave three possible reasons for the "Error on downloading ActiveScan"
    1. Not allowing the application's ActiveX control to be downloaded. (But I did allow that)
    2. Problems with the internet connection. (I have no problem with that on this computer)
    3. The error could be due to a download error or an installation error due to lack of hard disk space, privileges, etc.... (I have 15 GB of free space on this disk.)
    I have marked prompt on these things:
    Download signed ActiveX controls
    Dounload unsigned ActiveX controls
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins
    Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting
    Is there something I haven't done?

4. golferbob

golferbob

have you done all the critical windows updates? there was a windows fix for that problem in may[?] .

5. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

I did like you said and installed all critical updates. You were right. That took care of the problem. Thank you.

6. golferbob

golferbob

glad it was so simple.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!