Solved: How long do video cards last?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

8dalejr.fan

As many of you probably know, I'm pretty sure my Radeon 9800XT died on me after 2 years of use. A Dell technician called this morning at 9AM (I was sleeping- Christmas vacation) and told me he'd be down here around 11 and replace the card with a new one for me for free (under warranty).

So my question is how long do these things last- especially the 9800XT's? This one was ok for almost 2 years and then started crapping out. But I'm sure since I didn't regularly clean out my case last year, it probably started cooking and by the time I did clean the case on a regular basis, the damage had already been done.

How long to video cards last? I'm wondering if I should extend my warranty on my Dell from 3 years to 4 years (which would give me another 2 years) incase this one should do the same thing to me.

EDIT: Dell just phoned again, gonna be here in 10 minutes instead of an hour. :D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Given minimal care, a video card should outlast your computer. I have machines that have pretty ancient video cards. :) One thing for high performance graphics cards is to make sure the fan is functional, and you keep the dust blown out. Poor cooling is the #1 killer of electronic equipment.

in general, a video card will become obsolete before crapping out on you, in the case of a dell, they are nice and quiet, but that comes at a price, poor air circulation within the case, dust gets drawn in and has doesnt leave. Given that it is a dell, you will have to removed the case cover and vacuum it out more often (about every 6 months if you leave it on all the time)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online