Solved: How may I recover my lost Firefox data?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gala1221

When I was uninstalling Aurora, I had no idea that the user profiles were linked to my Firefox's and so I chose to remove all User Profile settings, bookmarks and others. Now my Firefox is brand new without any bookmarks.

How may I recover my User Profile settings, bookmarks and everything else? I have no backup of my bookmarks either.

Recuva doesn't seem to be working for me as well. I need help ASAP. :(

If they were removed in an uninstallation, they are most likely gone.

If there are any .json files in FF's application folder, you can import one of those old backups. But if the folder is gone, so are the files.

Gala1221

If they were removed in an uninstallation, they are most likely gone.

If there are any .json files in FF's application folder, you can import one of those old backups. But if the folder is gone, so are the files.
Are there any programs out there that can recover such files? Because I really need those bookmarks.

The backup in there restores my bookmarks back to when you just reinstall Firefox, which are the default bookmarks.

Gala1221

If you've checked your Application Data directory (as in the instructions in the link) and even Recuva didn't help (bookmarks file: places.sqlite file in your original profile folder), then I'm sorry to say but your data is lost. Use a backup utility or better use some syncing service like Xmarks or Firefox Sync to have a copy of your profile data in case its needed.

Gala1221

If you've checked your Application Data directory (as in the instructions in the link) and even Recuva didn't help (bookmarks file: places.sqlite file in your original profile folder), then I'm sorry to say but your data is lost. Use a backup utility or better use some syncing service like Xmarks or Firefox Sync to have a copy of your profile data in case its needed.
So what do I do now? I really need those bookmarks. :(

Not much you can do now. At most you can try other available free data recovery tools. Best option is to start again and be ready with backups to rely on when needed.

I know its frustrating to lose your important data but be careful next time :).

Gala1221

Not much you can do now. At most you can try other available free data recovery tools. Best option is to start again and be ready with backups to rely on when needed.

I know its frustrating to lose your important data but be careful next time :).
Okay, thanks! I try to google for some softwares now to help me. I'll post the results.

Edit1: I am using GetDataBack and I have no idea which Places.sqlite to retrieve. And the thing is that there isn't any of that but instead there are places.sqlite-shm and places.sqlite-wal. May I get some help and also know what those are? Thanks again.

I doubt very much that you can get them back now. Since you have used the computer, even if they had been there they would be overwritten. They are gone and no software will help. Your hard drive would have failed eventually, anyway, so with no backup, you just lost them a bit sooner.

Gala1221

I doubt very much that you can get them back now. Since you have used the computer, even if they had been there they would be overwritten. They are gone and no software will help. Your hard drive would have failed eventually, anyway, so with no backup, you just lost them a bit sooner.
Well.. Okay. I'll just mark this thread as solved although I would have loved to retrieve all my lost anime files. I had plenty of those bookmarks because I needed them now I have none sad :(

In the future, use Firefox Sync to put the bookmarks on the net where they can be synchronized to any other FF browser you use on any other computer, and retrieved when the machine crashes, too.

Gala1221

In the future, use Firefox Sync to put the bookmarks on the net where they can be synchronized to any other FF browser you use on any other computer, and retrieved when the machine crashes, too.
K thx.

My 50 over anime bookmarks are gone xD

K thx.

My 50 over anime bookmarks are gone xD
Some people have lost far more bookmarks than that. And still, through the power of the human spirit, they have found new bookmarks and managed to live on with relatively happy and productive lives. You, too, can be a survivor!

Gala1221

Some people have lost far more bookmarks than that. And still, through the power of the human spirit, they have found new bookmarks and managed to live on with relatively happy and productive lives. You, too, can be a survivor!
I'm surviving life as it is now, not fretting over recovering my bookmarks anymore. Thanks for your help though, gladly appreciated it :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online