1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How Much Power Supply Is Good Enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nycmoonstar, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar Thread Starter

Is 420W good enough for a computer with:

Windows Vista Ultimate
    4GB DDR3 1333 RAM (but I may add another 4GB in the future)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz (may upgrade someday)
    TV tuner (Hauppauge WinTV HVR 2250 or ATI Wonder 650)
    1 Blu Ray Burner
    1 DVD Burner
    2 HDDs

2. BG-0

BG-0

Depends only on how good quality "420W" power supply it is. Is there no graphics card? Only an integrated one?

3. nycmoonstar

Thanx for your reply. :D I'll probably get an Antec as per crjdriver's guide. But I would certainly like to make sure that there's some room for upgrade. Though I do not plan on adding a video card at this time, I would like to have that as an option. It is also a very realistic possiblity that I add a secondary TV tuner down the line.

If I eventually do add a grafic card, it'll be a good/decent one, but not top-notch one for gamers. The most graphically heavy task I do on my computer is the recording and editing of high definition TV broadcast (over the air and QAM). And integrated video of my 3-year-old comp with Pentium 4 somehow manages to carry out the task with 1 tuner configuration. But I'd get a graphic card if you suggested I do so. :p:p

4. BG-0

BG-0

Well, something like this will very well do the job without a graphics card, but if you want to add a decent GFX card later for performance boost in any 3D job, get this (After all, it's just 10 $ more after MIR.)

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

Note the fan [REAR OR TOP]depending on your case

6. nycmoonstar

Great! Thank you very much!

7. nycmoonstar

Whoa! Thanx for bringing that up! I need a case with a top vent ? or a rear vent will do?

8. BG-0

BG-0

I wonder what fan was frankjohn talking about? :eek:
    If about power supply fan... Just don't put it the way it's fan would be against hard metal.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Remember, a power supply will only provide the power that is required by your equipment, providing it is capable of doing so. As you mentioned future upgrades, I would go with something in the 600 to 700 watt range. Do not purchase a budget priced power supply as these are cheap for a reason. They dont use quality components. Antec wouldbe a good choice. remember a 430watt PSu will limit your future upgradability.

10. BG-0

BG-0

Well, I'm using an OCZ StealthXtream 600 W myself, and it's perfectly enough for a Radeon HD 4850 and other equipment, so that would, IMO, be a good choice for future-proof... And a low price. Still, even not being expensive, it is quite good quality...

11. nycmoonstar

Hm... both of the PSUs have their fans at the top, so, if I choose a case with a vent on the rear top, the box will naturally be placed against the inner top surface of the case? :confused:

12. nycmoonstar

Thank you very much for your suggestions!!! I am goin for it. Hope the energy saving technology they are talkin about is true and my electric bill won't be over the top. :D

13. BG-0

BG-0

You can put it upside down, if there's no vent or grill or whatever on the rop, or better, choose a case with bottom-mount power supply slot.

14. nycmoonstar

K. Thank you very much!!!

15. Compiler

Compiler

GEEZ GUYS...

None of the PSUs have "fans on the top"... It's upside down to show the buyer that it has two fans on it.

Rarely does a case allow you to install a PSU upside down. Many cases with bottom PSUs will make the PSU upside down (fan facing up)....

If nycmoonstar, you have no plans for a high-end gaming card, a 450watt PSU is more than enough... and allow you to install a low-mid range video card. A video card would allow you to have a DVI port for large monitors for improved video quality (22" or larger)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!