Solved: How Much Should A 90gig Hard Drvie Have Left?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tonysou

I have a 90 gig Hard Drive.. Just Installed a windows 7 ultimate. How much free space should I have left? My biggest mystery!

It depends on the version. If you have 32 bit the minimum ammount you should have left is 74Gb if you have 64 bit then that would go down to 70Gb.

Jack-O-Bytes

tonysou

Wait... My 90 gig hard drives has 74gig befor I install os.. Why is this?

dustyjay

Jay
I would check the drive in Disk Management and be sure there is nothing on the drive. A 90Gb drive is going to forat to less than 90Gb. this is due to the difference in the way the marketers advertize capacity and the way Windows formats the disk. the manufacturer marketing use a base 10 (Decimal) math. Windows uses a bianary system where the base is 1024 instead of 1000

tonysou

where is this disk management again? It's 90gig but I only get 74gig.. No partition. Was there an os left over after a format still? I'm so lost..

calvin-c

Banned
The amount used can also be affected by whether it was an upgrade or clean installation, too. An upgrade will often save the old version in case you want to revert.

tonysou

Yes.. But How do we determine a clean install? I swore I did a clean install.. Does it have anything with the partition? It never ask me difference. Is this result of my boot disc?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online