1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: how to add opera to run command

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by manuleka, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manuleka

manuleka Thread Starter

i'm just curious of an easy way to add opera to run/command (Window button + R) for firing up Opera browser... i know with other browsers like Firefox, Safari, Chrome their quick command codes are their names and for IE it's iexplore

2. Maverickz

Maverickz

I don't know much about Opera but you can use short cut properties to make a "CTRL + ALT" shortcut to any program you want.

First make sure you are working with a shortcut to the program, not the executable of the program. Right click the shortcut, select properties. Click the Shortcut Tab. Click in the Shortcut Key box and press the single key that you want to be the shortcut. This will make "CTRL+ALT+TheKeyYouPressed" be the hotkey for that application.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

For programs that are launched from the Run box without typing in the Full Path to the program, there is usually a Registry entry that allows the program to do this. This is different from the executable search PATH variable.

4. Squashman

I believe this is the Registry path to where those values are in the Registry.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
    If the Opera install did not put one there you could make your own key for Opera. Then you would be able to launch Opera from the Run box by just typing in Opera.

When Windows is asked to launch a Program it looks at the following scenarios.
    The current working directory.
    The Windows directory only (no subdirectories are searched).
    The Windows\System32 directory.
    Directories listed in the PATH environment variable.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

5. Squashman

The easiest solution would probably be to edit the system PATH variable instead of screwing around with the registry.

6. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

You can always try to create your Own HotKey. First Right click the Opera shortcut icon on the desktop that you want to use, and select "Properties".
    Second On the Shortcut Tab, click in the "Shortcut Key" field, and press Ctrl, Alt, and another key at the same time You should see that combination appear in that field. Then Click Ok, and from now on, whenever you press that combination of keys, that application will open.

7. manuleka

manuleka Thread Starter

thanks guys... i decided to go with the "Ctrl + Alt + O" hotkeys shortcut :)

agreeing with Squashman - don't really wanna mess with registry

8. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Awesome ;)

9. Squashman

Lets file this one under the K.I.S.S theory.

10. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

HAHA(y) Hey this took alot of hard work! (lol riiight)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!