Solved: How to Avoid Unwanted Emails

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kolias

I know that I should not open an email if I don’t trust the sender to avoid malicious emails. But my present email program (Foxmail) does not have an option to first view the header of an email and then open it if I decide to do so. I mean I can see at the top of the screen the header details of a new email and at the bottom of the screen I can see part of the email text even before I click to open the email. If I don’t click to open the email is this considered that I haven’t open the email unless I click on it?

I found another email (DremMail) which has this setting:
“Do not download from server (the message will remain in the server)”

But when I apply this setting I don’t see the new emails at all and therefore I don’t know what this setting is for.

Anyone can explain the above?

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
I found another email (DremMail) which has this setting:
“Do not download from server (the message will remain in the server)”

But when I apply this setting I don’t see the new emails at all and therefore I don’t know what this setting is for.

Anyone can explain the above?
You're probably referring to IMAP.

Kolias

No, the DreamMail program is set with POP3 and in the options is this setting not to download emails but leave them on the server.

Just wondering what is the advantage with such a setting

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Mail Server Functionality

POP3 has become increasingly sophisticated so that some administrators can configure the protocol to "store" email on the server for a certain period of time, which would allow an individual to download it as many times as they wished within that given time frame. However, this method is not practical for the vast majority of email recipients.
While mail servers can use alternate protocol retrieval programs, such as IMAP, POP3 is extremely common among most mail servers because of its simplicity and high rate of success. Although the newer version of POP offers more "features," at its basic level, POP3 is preferred because it does the job with a minimum of errors.
http://whatismyipaddress.com/pop3

Kolias

I was thinking….

Don’t know a lot about email security but since my Internet provider is Bell, on their site they say:

“Email security
Our email Anti-Virus service and Junk Mail Filter help keep your Bell Mail inbox free of spam and viruses.”

So to my opinion, their server should scan all my emails for viruses / spam and my email client would just get the emails after Bell has scanned my emails.

Isn’t that enough security?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online