Solved: How to boot from external optical drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CapriAnupam

Hi all, I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. Its optical drive has gone bad, and won't play any discs whatsoever.. it will just keep on reading it, and ultimately throws the disc out.

Now, I want to reinstall the OS on the laptop via an installation disc. I have an external USB optical drive, and it works well otherwise... but, the problem is, that the laptop won't recognize it as a boot device.

It does not recognize it as a CD/DVD boot device, nor as a USB one. I have done the proper settings for the boot order in the BIOS... no go.

Any ideas on how to make the laptop recognize the external optical drive as boot device, and boot the disc from it?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop?

Are you trying to reinstall Windows XP or Windows Vista 32-bit?

---------------------------------------------------------

CapriAnupam

If BIOS doesn't support booting from USB, you can try this.
Great! Thanks.. that looks like it will do the job.

Can you tell how to use it on a USB drive? I read the documentation and ReadMe, but it's not clear. Do I just put the folder on the drive, or do I do something else?

CapriAnupam

What's the 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop?

Are you trying to reinstall Windows XP or Windows Vista 32-bit?

---------------------------------------------------------
It's 6QHS2BS.

And it originally came with Vista 32-bit, and I will be trying to install Windows 7 32-bit. Already ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, and it shows I can install Windows 7 on it.

Prior to that, I will be taking a full image of the whole hard drive, so that in case it isn't successful, I can revert back to the original OS.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It's 6QHS2BS.
That service tag number is assigned to a Dell Vostro 220s desktop, so you apparently copied it down wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop has driver support at the Dell site only for Windows XP and Windows Vista, so make sure it has Windows 7 32-bit drivers for all of its devices before you take the plunge.

Also make sure it has at least 2 GB of RAM. It supports up to 4 GB.

CapriAnupam

That service tag number is assigned to a Dell Vostro 220s desktop, so you apparently copied it down wrong.

The Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop has driver support at the Dell site only for Windows XP and Windows Vista, so make sure it has Windows 7 32-bit drivers for all of its devices before you take the plunge.

Also make sure it has at least 2 GB of RAM. It supports up to 4 GB.

Sorry... I mixed up S and H. It's 6QSH2BS.

Yes, I checked already, it does not have drivers for Windows 7... but, according to the upgrade advisor, it should take by itself. I have done a similar install on another laptop.. not of Dell, and different model.. and Windows 7 was successfully installed on it, taking all drivers by itself, or getting from Windows update... so that should not be a problem.

Thanks for the tips :).

CapriAnupam

Just add it to windows boot manager, by running plpbt-5.0.14\Windows\InstallToBootMenu.bat
Are there any chances of problems if I do it that way? Will I be able to remove it, if I want to, later on?

I would like to try out running it from the USB drive first.

CapriAnupam

Well, I don't know how to install Windows 7 from a USB pen drive. I will try to find out.

I will try to find out how to run Plop boot manager from a flash drive. Thanks.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It's 6QSH2BS.
Here is the Dell support site that's specific only to your Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.

According to its system configuration section, it came with Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit pre-installed and came with 2 GB(1 GB X 2) of DDR2-800 RAM.

It has Sigmatel STAC 92xx C-Major HD Audio, so you might want to stick with the default Windows 7 audio driver.

I believe you'll be okay with installing Windows 7 drivers for the other devices.

-----------------------------------------------------------

CapriAnupam

Here is the Dell support site that's specific only to your Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.

According to its system configuration section, it came with Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit pre-installed and came with 2 GB(1 GB X 2) of DDR2-800 RAM.

It has Sigmatel STAC 92xx C-Major HD Audio, so you might want to stick with the default Windows 7 audio driver.

I believe you'll be okay with installing Windows 7 drivers for the other devices.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Frank :).

I had already downloaded Vista and XP drivers from that download page, in case I need them. Windows 7 drivers are not provided for the model of my laptop... so I will have to rely on Windows 7 installing them by itself, like it did for other laptop.. shouldn't be a problem.

If it's not successful, I may install XP on the laptop then. Or maybe, I will play around with Linux.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online