1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to boot from new hard disk?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jason122, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jason122

jason122 Thread Starter

I've just bought Seagate Momentus XT 500GB and installed it myself to my desktop.
    Downloaded DiskWizard from Seagate to clone my old hard disk into the new one.

Problem:
    How do I boot from the new hard disk? I still got my old hard disk on my computer, I'm trying to use it as extra storage, but it's still booting from the old C drive. How do I change it to boot from my new hard disk?

2. Amanha

Amanha

Momentus XT, Very good choice.

What you might want to do is remove the old hard disk, then boot from the new one. I think you might get a error screen, which you will need to use your Windows 7 DVD to repair it a couple of times. After youve sucessfully booted around 3 times, put the old HDD with the old C:\ in, format it, and you should be all done and dusted.

3. kris141087

kris141087

Hi Jason when you first turn on your PC there should be a screen that says something like "press f6 to enter setup/BIOS" (the actual wording and key varies) you should then be in a low resolution menu. Use the arrow keys to navigate towards boot order and change it so your new hard drive is at the top. That will make your PC look at that drive first to boot. if you are happy save and exit or if you feel you have changed something you shouldn't have you can always exit without saving.

4. jason122

jason122 Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I've set the BIOS, and selected the new drive as the priority, unplugged the old drive, switched the cable that goes from old drive to the motherboard to the new drive to mother board, and it worked :D

Huraaaayyyy!

5. kris141087

kris141087

No problem Jason glad its working.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice