Solved: How to burn ISO file to USB flash drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

earguy

Not sure where to post this.

I've made several diagnostic CDs (Ultimate Boot CD, Seatools, etc) by burning the ISO file onto a CD but am having difficulty doing so with a USB flash drive. I need instructions on how to go about burning ISO files to a USB flash drive so I can boot from USB to perform diagnostics. Is there anything I need to do to the flash drive before I even attempt to burn an ISO file? I've tried wintoflash (I think that this is the name) but have failed at repeated attempts to create a bootable USB flash drive.

I've followed the instructions found here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200124.asp... but am still unable to figure out how to burn an ISO file to USB. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

earguy

I tried Rufus (thanks by the way for the link) but get the following error message:

"This version of Rufus only supports bootable ISOs based on bootmgr, WinPE, isolinux or EFI. This ISO doesn't appear to use either... "

I downloaded the ISO file "SeaToolsDOS223ALL" from the Seagate Seatools webpage. Not sure what the problem is.

earguy

I've downloaded Seatools for Windows and saved it to my flash drive. However, the problem still remains on how to make this a bootable drive so as to run diagnostics on a machine that is giving me boot up error messages like asking to insert a disk, etc. Is there a source available that sells bootable drives with diagnostic tools already on them, ready to use? I know that this is a cop out, but I am not getting how to create a bootable USB drive and then how to burn ISO files to it. I appreciate all the assistance thus far.

Triple6

Rob
Why not just use UBCD? It already has the Seagate diagnostics included and works from USB drives.

earguy

Good idea. Thanks. But I will need to burn this to a flash drive and this is where I am having problems, creating a bootable flash drive.

earguy

I tried burning the UBCD ISO file to USB using Win to Flash. When I connect the drive and try to boot it to my Dell Optiplex 745 that has the Ubuntu OS on it, I get the following message:

"An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system."

I assume that this probably means that the file was not successfully burned to the drive.

Triple6

Rob
Winflash? That wasn't in the instructions I posted.

Also, you are not "burning" any files to USB, that's a term for putting data on optical media.

Oddba11

Jim
It's My Birthday!
You should test the USB stick on a working computer. Don't just assume the USB is bad because the non working computer can't read it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online