1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to burn ISO file to USB flash drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earguy, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

Not sure where to post this.

I've made several diagnostic CDs (Ultimate Boot CD, Seatools, etc) by burning the ISO file onto a CD but am having difficulty doing so with a USB flash drive. I need instructions on how to go about burning ISO files to a USB flash drive so I can boot from USB to perform diagnostics. Is there anything I need to do to the flash drive before I even attempt to burn an ISO file? I've tried wintoflash (I think that this is the name) but have failed at repeated attempts to create a bootable USB flash drive.

I've followed the instructions found here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200124.asp... but am still unable to figure out how to burn an ISO file to USB. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

2. replay

replay

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

4. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

I tried Rufus (thanks by the way for the link) but get the following error message:

"This version of Rufus only supports bootable ISOs based on bootmgr, WinPE, isolinux or EFI. This ISO doesn't appear to use either... "

I downloaded the ISO file "SeaToolsDOS223ALL" from the Seagate Seatools webpage. Not sure what the problem is.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

OK. Thanks

7. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

I've downloaded Seatools for Windows and saved it to my flash drive. However, the problem still remains on how to make this a bootable drive so as to run diagnostics on a machine that is giving me boot up error messages like asking to insert a disk, etc. Is there a source available that sells bootable drives with diagnostic tools already on them, ready to use? I know that this is a cop out, but I am not getting how to create a bootable USB drive and then how to burn ISO files to it. I appreciate all the assistance thus far.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why not just use UBCD? It already has the Seagate diagnostics included and works from USB drives.

9. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Or simply pull the HDD and test in another PC.

10. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

Good idea. Thanks. But I will need to burn this to a flash drive and this is where I am having problems, creating a bootable flash drive.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. estint

estint

13. earguy

earguy Thread Starter

I tried burning the UBCD ISO file to USB using Win to Flash. When I connect the drive and try to boot it to my Dell Optiplex 745 that has the Ubuntu OS on it, I get the following message:

"An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system."

I assume that this probably means that the file was not successfully burned to the drive.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Winflash? That wasn't in the instructions I posted.

Also, you are not "burning" any files to USB, that's a term for putting data on optical media.

15. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You should test the USB stick on a working computer. Don't just assume the USB is bad because the non working computer can't read it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice