Solved: How to change a flat file to a .csv

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Problematicguy

Hello.
I hope the title makes sense. When I export it out of the system at work it doesnt even get a file extension. This is what makes me call it a "flat" file if that makes sense.:confused: Anyways, I need to convert this to a .csv file. I am using MS Excel 2002 and its not giving me the results im looking for. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

By "flat file," I am afraid I don't really know what you mean. Pipe delimited (That is, separated by " | ")?
No delimiters at all (just a plain text file - whether it is called .txt or not)?
Or the traditional flat file, where there is just one item per line?

Problematicguy

Sorry about that. I was told it was a flat file. I questioned it to. Windows doesnt know what program to associate it with. It will open in notepad so I guess that would make it a .txt file (?). Then I open excel and try to import external data and step thru the wizard. This is where it is not separating where I need it to.
*Im thinking when its getting exported out of the system its the way it is set up to export. Dont know if this helps.

Flat files were traditionally a format used by UNIX systems. If you can't figure it out - I would open it in Notepad first - email me via my profile and I will write you back and perhaps help you directly (I am assuming you don't want to post the file here - if you can, however, do that instead).

Problematicguy

I work for the appraisal office so Id rather not send that info out. But I really do appreciate the offer. Im sure I will get it sooner or later. thanks

Well, if you give us a bit more info about the layout of the file as seen in Notepad - even make a mock file of a couple of lines if you want - I am sure we can be of assistance.

Problematicguy

will do. I will get back to you probably tomorrow. (Rest of the day is tied up). Thank you for your time.

Problematicguy

Slurpee, Thanks for the help. Instead of figuring out how to convert the data I get from the system, I bit the bullet and figured it would be better to learn it by exporting it in the .csv file I need to begin with. I was trying to just find an easier way, but this really is the best way. Thank you again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online