1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to choose between Network Places "Views"?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by redoak, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

TerryNet once pointed out to me that there were two ways of looking at Network Places- "Task View" and "Folder View." How do you go about choosing between them?

Attached is a screen shot of the Network Places Tool Bar (sp??). I can't find anywhere a way of changing the 'view'. How is it done??

{redoak} :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Look lower. :) You click on "Folders" to toggle between them.

If you don't have those buttons: View - Toolbars - Standard buttons - will make them appear.

Attached Files:

4. redoak

'TN" I believe I have the knack of it. See the attachment. Is that "Task View?"

Attached Files:

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know quite what view that is. Taskview is when you have the separate left pane "Network Tasks" as in my attachment. You seem to have that left pane disabled.

6. redoak

Once again thanks for staying with me another time.

I have not done anything knowingly to disable the "left pane." How do I enable it?

BTW: I redid my wireless network because I managed to lose the Toshiba Ws7 machine. I have it back! Furthermore, I am also syncing it with my Asus XP Pro, along with the VMw-Player installed VP Home. I really can't believe I am doing all of these things! Next, in a few days when the DVDs arrive, comes installing two Linus distros on the virtual computer.

{redoak}

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now that I look at your screen shot again maybe you are using the Windows 98 look (Microsoft calls it "Windows classic"). In My Network Places or any Windows Explorer window: Tools - Folder options... - General tab - make sure "Show common tasks in folders" is selected.

8. redoak

You were correct. "Classic" was apparently selected by default, and I never had any reason to question it nor did I know the difference. Maybe I will not like it when I go to places other than "MNP.

There are many settings dialog boxes I probably have never had reason to visit.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Give the new look a chance to grow on you. :) The list of tasks in the left pane is helpful for some things you do, and the folder list, or tree structure, is something that many people missed when Microsoft left it out of Windows 98. When you give in and start using Windows 7 you will find a different implementation of it as the "Navigation pane."

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/963294