1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to clear the address bar?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by priyanka24, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. priyanka24

priyanka24 Thread Starter

A web address keeps coming even after deleting the cookies, offline contents. Also i've cleared the auto complete history still its popping.
    I just dont want that address to be displayed although i want to use the auto complete option. I'm using windows xp professional. Can i do it without having to format my laptop?

Please help

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Clear the autocomplete entries in Internet Options, or Shift-Delete on the address in the drop-down box (in some browsers). Is it only the address box where it appears?

3. priyanka24

i've cleared auto complete entries n it appears only in the address box.

also theres a index.dat file in cookies folder which im unable to delete even manually.

4. parvez9988

parvez9988

Hi priya

index.dat file wont del form cookies.IN internet options u have clear history and in auto cmplet check web address and forms and then clear it.For delting cookies or history use cccleaner.I think it will work for u.
    JAIHINDH
    Parvez

5. priyanka24

Hello Pervez,

I've tried to delete some index.dat files from the cookies folder n was successful at that.But a particular index.dat file is not being deleted n the error that was coming is-
    "Cannot delete index:It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.".

Anyways that was not my mail problem.My main problem is- I want to remove a particular address from the address bar dropdown box of internet explorer. But unable to do so.

I've deleted cookies,offline contents,files,history,autocomplete history but the address is still appearing.

Ya whats this "CCCleaner"? From where will I get it? Can it be downloaded?Is it safe?

6. parvez9988

parvez9988

7. priyanka24

hi pervez,

I'm in doubt whether to download or not!
    Is it safe.
    I mean my laptop wont be virus affected na?

Can anyone else help me I dont want to download anything unreliable
    Jus wanna remove the address.

8. stantley

stantley

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

In "CCleaner," you will see a line where you can put a check mark for handling "index.dat" files. I understand from a reply by Stantley on another Thread that this will work well.

10. priyanka24

will that remove the address from the address bar?

11. stantley

stantley

Yes, it should.

12. Schurk

Schurk

If you don't want to install any softwares and you want to remove the index.dat files you could also boot into save mode (press F8 after POST) and then you should be able to manually remove the index.dat files. You could also try and remove them by completely logging of your account (so not "different user") logging into another account and deleting these files from that account.

This should remove your index.dat files, but I don't know if it will remove the urls in you adress bar. Depending on what version of internet explorer you have, you may need to remove the key entries in the "typedurls" folder in your registry, but you need to google a bit to find out how to exactly do this.

If these options above do not help, you may have spyware or adware running on your system, so then you need to take measures to find out what spyware/adware it is and how to remove it.

Good luck fixing your problem!

13. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you deleted all of the "History"?

14. priyanka24

Yes I've removed all of the history, even i tried the solution that Schruk suggested but all in vain.

Help me please

15. priyanka24

I've downloaded n used the CCleaner n it worked.
    Although the address got removed, the index.dat file is still there.
    Wat to do?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice