Solved: how to convert ms word table into execl sheet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

debjitmandal

i made a table in ms word.
but i want to convert this table into execl sheet for data analysis.
only copy/cut from ms word and paste into execl sheet are not working as the whole table comes into one cell of the execl sheet and it doesn't serve my purpose to analyse the data.
the volume of the data is huge and re-entry into execl sheet takes lot of time.
is there any solution to convert this ms word data into execl sheet.
its urgent.

can you upload a page of your word document (with sample data if you have to). I tried copying and pasting a table and it worked fine for me?

OBP

Just copy the data in word and then when in Excel use "Paste Special - Text".
I just tried it and worked Ok.

You should be able to copy and paste.

Select the table and nothing else, then copy then into excel and paste.

However OBP's suggestion is also fine, however it will take away the formatting that applies in Word and convert it to your default font style and size in Excel.

OBP

Villan, as the op says for some reason ordinary "Paste" pastes the whole table as an "Object" rather than putting the data in to the cells?:confused:

Not sure how big this table is, but you can have a spreadsheet embedded in your Word document with all the functionality of Excel

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Just out of interest, when I create a table in word, select it, copy, then paste in Excel, I get the table brought across as the individual cells?

Is there an Excel option that would stop this from happening?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
The Villan said:
WhitPhil
When you paste into excel, you select Edit Paste Special, MicrosoftWord Object
Yes, you could do it that way.

But, if you just do a normal copy/paste the data comes across from the Word table into individual cells.

Which does not appear to be happening in the case of the debjitmandal.

WhitPhil said:
Just out of interest, when I create a table in word, select it, copy, then paste in Excel, I get the table brought across as the individual cells?

Is there an Excel option that would stop this from happening?
How ironic, were trying to help debjitmandal get his data to not go into a single cell, and WhitPhil wants to get his into a single cell :eek:

I think it would still help if we the document, so we can see why it won't do what she wants.

Yes I know and that may well have something to do with an option hidden somewhere deep in the bowels of Microsoft that pastes it as an object

WhitPhil...have you tried double clicking into the cell and then pasting?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Ziggy1 said:
WhitPhil...have you tried double clicking into the cell and then pasting?
?? Don't understand?

The OP stated that they created a table in word, copy/pasted it to Excel and the entire table went into a single cell.

And, I am explaining that I just did, in Word, Table, Insert Table and created a 5x2 table
Filled it with the numbers from 1 to 10
Selected all the table, copy
Went to Excel, selected a cell, paste

And it filled 5x2 cells with the numbers from 1 to 10.

So, for me it appears to work fine, but differently for the OP!

It is debjitmandal that is getting a different result, I get the same as you. My pasted table appears just like it does in word when pasted to a "Selected" cell.

what I said in Post #13 was if you double click into the cell, it pastes the entire contents into a single cell. So in everything we are all talking about clarification should be made as to how the cell is selected prior to pasting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online