Solved: How to CONVERT Outlook Express .dbx Folders/Files To Vista Windows Mail .eml

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Katmandu

I do NOT have access to Outlook Express 6 via the "Normal" methodology. My main PC's motherboard burned out and I resorted to pulling the HDD out of the system and making it an External HDD. This is the only way that I was able to save/access Outlook Express 6's .dbx email files.

So, I DO have full access to the old .dbx files from the old system.

Right after my old PC bit the dust, I went out and purchased a brand new laptop here that is running Vista Home Premium which of course uses Windows Mail as the Email program and uses .eml for the file extention.

I was able to resetup all my Email accounts manually as well as Import my old Outlook Express 6's Contact List files (.wab) format.

The problem I am having is getting the old Outlook Express .dbx folders and files to Import into Windows Mail. I KNOW the .dbx files are NOT compatible with WM .eml format.

I need to know HOW to convert the .dbx files to the .eml format so I can then Import them into Vista's Windows Mail.

Can someone PLEASE help me!

I would be forever grateful!

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi Katmandu

You have All the .dbx files including the Folders.dbx file?

If so, you should be good to go.

Copy the .dbx files to a folder on the Desktop.
Start Windows Mail:
File > Import > Messages
Select: Microsoft Outlook Express 6
Click: Next
Select: Import from an OE6 store directory
Click: OK

Click: Browse and Browse to the folder on the Desktop and select the folder containing the .dbx files. **Note** when I select my folder, containing .dbx files, it appears to be empty, continue on.
Click the: Select Folder button.​

Verify in the Windows Mail Import window that the path to the folder on the Desktop is correct, Windows Mail has a habit of duplicating the folder in the directory path.
If this happens click the Browse button again and this time Only click the Select Folder button.

Verify the path to the folder containing the .dbx files is now correct.

Click: Next > Next
The Import should begin, an Import Complete message will appear when the Import successfully completes.
Click: Finish

In Windows Mail there should be a folder labled Imported Folder this should contain all the imported messages. You can move your messages to other folders if so desired.​

Let us know if that works for you or not.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online