Solved: How to create a RESTORE POINT in XP's STSTEM RESTORE?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Angus77

My computer (XP Home) is in a real mess, and I want to go back to better days with System Restore, ideally several weeks before various nightmares happened. But when I look for an earlier restore point there's only today's date. Is it possible for me to create a date for, say, a month ago? And if I manage to do this what programs or documents will I lose?

Please phrase your response for a non-techie. Thanks.

Angus

SR is not going to solve your problems. It is not like an image of that past date, but only a method of restoring the "system" in case the machine has serious problems. It won't clean up any problems, remove programs, or delete infections. It will only restore Windows files and the registry.You may be better off saving your files and going back to factory settings if you want the system clean and fresh.

New points are created and old ones deleted. If they are gone, they are gone for good.

Angus77

Thanks, Elvandil, much appreciate your rapid response. I won't go ahead with it.

While I have the ear of an expert, can you plse tell me how to thank someone for a reply and close down the question? For months I haven't been able to do this, which must be taken ill by people who have bothered to help me.

Thanks again.

Angus

Well, we don't need to throw in the towel just yet with this if you want to pursue other options. Depending what problems you are having and what recovery media you have, we may have alternatives.

As far as ending a thread, all you need to do is click the "Solved" button at top. Of course, that does not always mean that a problem has actually been "solved", but serves as a marker for helpers that the thread requires no further attention. You can include a simple "Thanks" in your last post if you want.

Angus77

Maybe I should give more info. about the state of my computer, a VAIO laptop with 3 gig and XP Home with SP 3.

In past weeks when I boot up I've got (only occasionally) a rapid appearance of the "Blue Screen of Death" that disappears too quickly to capture and print. In addition, in an attempt to speed things up, I tinkered without knowing what I was doing with the Start-up settings. Whenever I boot up now XP turns on very visibly and
strongly, but then the screen goes so dark that it's barely impossible to read.

I'll try to find and send more info shortly.

Angus

DoubleHelix

Banned
That's a hardware problem that isn't going to be fixed with any type of restore or reinstall.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Is it under warranty? If so, get it fixed. If not, how much are you willing to spend on fixing it? It could be the back light which is about $150 not including labor. How comfortable are you disassembling a laptop? Or how much would you pay someone to do it for you?

Angus77

[/FONT]I greatly appreciate your advice. I'd hoped it was something I could fix with an exchange of e-mails, but clearly it isn't. Actually I can find expert advice on my doorstep here in NYC but, being sorely pressed financially hoped to avoid it!

Thanks again, people.

Angus

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts