1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to delete an (undeletable) hidden 'corrupted and unreadable file'?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Colt, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Colt

Colt Thread Starter

My tale of woe starts with trying to delete some folders containing jpeg files.

I got the message "Cannot delete Thumbs.db. The file is corrupted and unreadable". So I deleted the jpegs individually without any problem, and the folders then looked empty - but when I tried to delete the empty folders I still got the same message again, that Thumbs.db was corrupted and unreadable, so couldn't be deleted.

The Thumbs.db files didn't show at all in the now 'empty' folder - and don't show up either in a Windows Search for 'Thumbs' in All Files and Folders. (I have the 'Show hidden files and folders' option ticked In Tools->Folder Options->View of Windows Explorer).

Next thing (new) is that Chkdisk now runs every time I bootup with the message 'One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency'. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the original problem, but I had already made an image of my disk a few days ago, so I restored that image to a new bigger hard drive I had already planned to install. Restore went OK, new hard drive seems fine, but I am getting the same 'One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency' message - so I'm guessing the problem is not with either of the hard drives. Checkdisk doesn't show any errors.

I'm right out of my depth here. Anybody got any suggestions? And how do you delete files you can't see?

Really appreciate some help. Thanks!

Dell Dimension 5000 3.0 Ghz
    3 Gb RAM
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    AVG Internet Security 2012

2. user2339

user2339

try uninstalling/re-installing ThumbsPlus

3. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Remove the folder with a Command Prompt.
    Click Start>Run>type cmd>OK
    In the Command window, type rmdir /S /Q "full path to folder" and press Enter.
    The full path to folder is the exact address of the folder you want to delete. Example: C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\my folder.
    Be sure to include the Quotes around the path.

4. valis

valis Moderator

I think you may be mistaken about something, as I never saw the original poster talking about that app.......

5. valis

valis Moderator

also, Colt, if throoper's advice doesn't work (and I see no reason why it wouldn't), you could also take a look at unlocker.

6. user2339

user2339

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

So you know. Thumbs.db is a "Hidden operating system file".
    In Folder Options>View you need to uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" in order to see it.

8. Colt

Colt Thread Starter

Thanks, user 2339 - I can actually see those hidden files now. Thanks, too, throoper, for showing me how to use the command prompt cmd, And thanks, Valis, for pointing me towards Unlocker. Same outcome though with whatever I did. I got a real limpet version of undeletable corrupted thumbs.db here.

I'd welcome any other ideas - please..! I still keep getting the message to run chkdsk (again), which I have done about eight times today, but no errors are reported. What does that indicate? Thanks for your patience.

9. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

10. Colt

Colt Thread Starter

Thanks again, throoper. Just tried it in Safe Mode. Still comes up as "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

11. user2339

user2339

Content removed due to copyright issues.

12. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Are you able to rename the folder that contains the thumbs.db? I'm wondering if it's the folder shell that's corrupt.
    If you can't rename it (which would indicate it IS the folder), create a new folder and try moving the folder into it. If successful, run the command on the new folder, changing the path to end at that folder.

13. Colt

Colt Thread Starter

user2339 and throoper, thanks again. I got the same result with the boot CD. I then tried to rename both the folder and the thumbs.db file, and still ended up with the same message "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

I guess my only option now is to format my hard drive, clean install Windows XP, and restore my data from that backup WITHOUT the affected folders...? Seems a bit drastic, but I just want to get rid of that darned Chkdsk each and every bootup!

14. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Sounds like it is the folder shell that's got the problem. Where exactly is the folder?
    There's a few other tricks to try before doing a reinstall.

15. Colt

Colt Thread Starter

There are seven different folders affected, all together in My Documents. Here's an example: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Temp 75 Claudia China\Chengdu HiRes Photos

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065424