1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: how to disable autoplay in Windows Media Player 10

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by amallen, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amallen

amallen Thread Starter

I sometimes use Windows Media Player 10 and wish to disable the autoplay feature when that program is running. This setting is specific to WMP 10 and not the CD/DVD drive because Autoplay does NOT kick in when I load a CD in the CD/DVD player and WMP 10 is closed. In that case, it asks me which program I want to use to play the CD (which is what I want). However, when I already have Windows Media Player open/running and insert a CD, it automatically starts playback. I disabled this on another machine before but apparently can't find it again on this machine. FYI, I am running WinXP SP2.

Thanks,

Aaron Allen
    Albuquerque, NM

2. amallen

amallen Thread Starter

I believe I found the answer to my own post. It looks like Windows has performed one of its (in)famous updates. I checked my other machine and found the same behavior described above when previously it did not autoplay a CD when Media Player 10 was open. So I poked around the registry and found that the CDAutoPlay key was set to 1 on both machines under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]. I changed CDAutoPlay to 0 and things are as they were before. Hope this helps others users having the same issue.

Aaron

3. Haggis37

Haggis37

I have a slightly different problem. When I drag a track from the details pan to the list pane it automatically starts to play. How can I disable this autostart?. Any help will be much appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543466