1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to disable unnecessary touchpad features?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jcdf, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

I have recently bought a new Lenovo Z500 laptop with Windows 8.

The touchpad is large which I like but it has a whole host of annoying features swipes and swopes and sweeps and whatever. When I place two of my fingers on the touchpad and move them, sometimes the feature I am using zooms in or out. When I swoop my finger from the far edge of the touchpad towards the middle it causes new Windows 8 display screens to appear at the screen edges etc.

How do I disable all these annoying new features while keeping the basic functionality of the touchpad? Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I have Win 7 but 8 is probably close. Go to Control Panel and click on Mouse. One of the tabs on the window that opens should be for the touch pad. That should show you whatever options there are available to disable/customize its features.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You might also consider using a wireless optical scrolling mouse with that laptop - which can make navigating and functions faster and easier.

The Logitech Wireless Mouse M310/M325 plug-and-play models are what I use.

----------------------------------------------------------

4. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

Thankyou both. Your advice was helpful.

md2lgyk I knew that already, I just had difficulty finding the mouse option in control panels. Look at the excellent Taming the Windows 8 DESKTOP GUI thread first. Strongly recommended for any new Windows 8 users.

Also I bought a nice new Advent usb mouse. Much better than the tracking pad for nearly anything.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That was a good move on your part. (y)

-------------------------------------------------------

6. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Glad you solved your problem. I despise touchpads; wherever my laptop goes, there's a usb mouse in the bag with it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!