1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to download updates to one computer, install on another?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by marie500, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

XP Home SP2 on both computers...Two computers, mine on cable, a second on dial-up.
    Re today's MS Updates - I downloaded & installed them on my cable computer but the other computer, on dial-up, can't even reach the page to start the download. I want to get the downloads again on my cable computer (by re-downloading onto a CD), then put the CD into the other computer's CD drive to install them onto the other computer.

I'm stuck what to do after I get them redownloaded onto a CD using my computer. I would put that CD into the other computer...but then what? What folder do I copy them to? And especially! - how do I start the installation process?

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

Go to the windows update site. In the left pane click on "Administrator options". Follow your nose from there.
    :)

3. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

The computers aren't networked though. I see how to obtain the downloads and know how to put them on a CD but don't know what to do with that CD after putting in in the other computer and opening it.

4. xgerryx

xgerryx

You have to open the folders on the cd and install each update one at a time.
    I think they can be slipstreamed so they can all be installed in one go but I have never followed that up.

5. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

They are individual .exe files. What folder do I put them in on the other computer? What happens when I click on them, do they automatically install themselves where they belong, or do I have to choose a location to install to? (if so, where would that be?)

6. xgerryx

xgerryx

They have self installers. You can just open them from the cd or drag them to your desktop and discard the installers when you are finished.

Hang on to the cd incase you ever need to format or to share with others on slow dial up.

7. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I think I'm clear on how it works now. Thanks very much for sticking with me and helping me figure this out! :)

8. xgerryx

xgerryx

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/371654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice