1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: how to dual boot vista & xp ???????

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by worf51, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. worf51

worf51 Thread Starter

hi guys,i have a vista premium 64 bit quad core,i want to shrink the hard drive and instal xp on a partition,shrinking and installing xp seems straight forward,but i am confused on how to reboot the both,any detailed help would be very much appreciated,thank you ...

2. Sponsor

3. dannyn

dannyn

4. worf51

worf51 Thread Starter

thanks heaps dannyn for your reply and link,i will check it out

5. dannyn

dannyn

Yep, hope that works for you.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have a recovery partition, keep in mind that any changes to your partitions will cause you to lose access to your recovery options and the Vista installation files.

But these will add XP to Vista's boot menu easily:

VistabootPro or EasyBCD

7. worf51

worf51 Thread Starter

hi elvandil,thanks for your reply,in the meantime i have been looking at different forums to do with my dual boot concerns,one person suggested another option of VIRTUAL PC 2007,without having to partition the drive,could you please give me your opinion on this as i don`t know which way to go now thank you

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Virtual PC is an option, as is VirtualBox which is also free and supports more operating systems.

It would be well worth your time to explore that option if you are interested. It makes it easy to try new operaing systems, and easy to remove them when done, all without having to alter your system beyond recovery.

I have one virtual machine just for testing bootable CD's and operating systems. It is a lot easier to boot it up in a window on Vista than to have to restart the machine every time. And it makes it convenient to have 2 or 3 OS'es running at the same time.

But virtual machines are not generally very good for gaming. VMWare now supports DirectX for gaming and graphics, but it is still not the same as running them on a base OS.

The major question for VM's is how much memory you have. The memory needs to come from the running OS, so if you can spare 256-512 of RAM for a virtual machine, go for it. :D

Very handy.

Attached Files:

• vm.jpg
      vm.jpg
      File size:
      82.1 KB
      Views:
  9. worf51

worf51 Thread Starter

thank you so much elvandil for your help and reply to my query,after reading your post,i have decided to do it this way,a lot less hassle the way you explain it,much appreciate your trouble.........

10. jlcolon

jlcolon

i have a acer model aspire m1610 windows vista home premium i use a wipe drive on my computer now i cannot load the acer cd back in i try from bios it will start but when enter the 2nd cd it will stop error

11. jlcolon

jlcolon

:(

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/766693