1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to erase MacBook Pro Hard Drive but keep Office for Mac?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by fuzzy07, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fuzzy07

fuzzy07 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro mid-2010 computer which is running rather slow lately. I have just upgraded the RAM (from 2x2gb to 2x4gb) which I know many people say makes the world of difference. To be honest, so far I'm not seeing that.

I contacted Apple, who said that I should perhaps go about wiping the Hard Drive clean (after making a full back up) and the manually 'pulling' items back onto the machine from the time machine back up. The concern I had with this is whether my Office for Mac will vanish and not be replaceable without a new product code. I have the original Office for Mac (2008) setup disc, and all of the product keys, however they have already been used. I am assuming using a product key I have already used will not work a second time, even if on the same Mac as the first time once the hard drive has been erased? Can anyone with some knowledge of this provide me with some details??

This is running on Yosemite.

Thanks!

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Well that is not true, even though you don't have unlimited activations, you should be able to activate it again, also rather than wiping and starting from scratch, do a permission check on your disk using the DiskTool first and see if that makes a difference (it compares to running checkdisk on a windows computer)

3. renegade600

renegade600

you should be able to use the same key with the reinstall. most office licenses only have limits to the number of computers the software is installed at the same time.

4. fuzzy07

fuzzy07 Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Done the erase and migration and pleased to report Office for Mac simply appeared with no qualms. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice